Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Using unfiltered oil

Re: Using unfiltered oil

Quote Originally Posted by Alga View Post
    The scintex video requires you to control the oil flow by diverting the oil as well as into the fuge, which means you get all the crap going into the clean oil and they don't take out any water. Any water in the oil and all used oil has some water in it, just drops the crap into the clean oil tank when it slows down.

When I'm on the road, don't settle the oil and as it all works by gravity, no need for any pumps etc, just the fuge. It's also nice to know you have taken all the water out of the oil.
    Sorry didn't see your update. The most common solution I've seen to this is to simply plumb a 3 way valve into the outlet, open it to a bucket and close it to the storage tank, and then stop the pump. Then all the water collected is caught in that bucket.

Yes the gravity fuges are more expensive, BUT they are a lot better. Trust me. As Algae said, the fast once rely on oil pressure, so if you have any bits blocking the jet you'll have pull it apart and clean it. As soon as this unit stops, it drops all of its liquid contents in the drum below it, your proposed fuel tank. Any water in the oil drops straight back in it.
    And then there is the noise.
    I have tried both and would not waste my money on them. But that's your call.
    As mentioned before, fuges clean by slow pass, not high volume. If you where to set up a system that can run over night while you're parked somewhere, perfect. With the gravity fuge you can camp in a crowded caravan park and no one would know what you are doing. Try that with a pressured fuge. Good luck

If you're planning a serious road trip in a large vehicle, the fuge will pay for itself in no time.
    There is no such thing as free fuel, especially if you're starting to setup. Better to spend the xtra money I say.
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Thanks Bueff. Well, I'm going the cheaper pressure unit, and coming up with a design to try and mitigate these issues. I already had the order in just before becoming aware of what you and Alga have outlined so sticking with it for now. In the long run I'm okay with the idea it won't work - if it does, it's ticking a lot of boxes. I tried to put up a post about my whole design but couldn't get it approved, so a few of my requirements feed into the choice, and size is a big factor, as I'm convering a Mitsubishi Delica which will also be a camper.

A few things I'll be doing to make it more useful is to have an 80L open top tank, which the box of treatment kit sits inside, to direct the fuge into. In the case of a blockage and dump, I haven't put anything in the tank, just unblock and start again. This allows for multiple passes including at lower flows if the situation allows, e.g. having a power source. The power draw for longer term treatment was also a consideration, as I avoid caravan parks if I can. Playing with the recirculation rate will mean I should be able to get a lower flow through the fuge if I'm not happy with its performance, but having a range of flow rates is desirable. I'm hoping to avoid blockages with 100um suction filter and an 80um reusable mesh inline filter before the centrifuge.

Either way appreciate both of your inputs as even though I'm going the pressure unit I've got a much better idea of design features I need to have to avoid some of the problems.

P.S. Saw your post about good quality WVO in Melbourne - I'm in Port Fairy (west Vic) but once I've got the system in I'd be keen to get some, a bit off getting to that yet.