Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Veg Fuels get a new lease of life?

Will Veg Fuels get a new lease of life?

Seeing the high price of fuel has me wondering if Veg fuels will get a renewed interest?

Veg interest seemed to peak around 2008 where the Chinese stockpiling huge amounts of fuel for the Olympics leading to media Hype of the world running out of oil and the green Movement Led by Al Gore Who made millions out of the scam were at their peak.

Funnily enough, I haven't seen one single Media report about the world running out of oil in years. Maybe they suddenly miracled up a lot more from somewhere or that was blown out of proportion as well in order to justify the amount people were being bend over and screwed at the pumps. Al Gore hasn't been heard of for years and the conversation around the water fountain in work places around the world has now turned to some other topic of the day.

I wonder now if the price of fuel goes up globally as it's doing here in Oz if the world will go veg mad again. The yanks tend to go into orbit calling for the invasion of other countries to get their oil as paying anything over $1 a litere seems plenty reason enough to go to war for them even if they want to pass it off under some other guise. When Fuel hits $5 for one of their gallons, then they are all just about rioting in the streets. Funny enough, I have never, ever read of one yank suggesting they might offload their F-150's for something smaller. It seems the defense there is that every Yank NEEDS an F-150 to survive and yanks being the super race can't get by with the same vehicles that are sold globally that the rest of the world gets by on.

The people in europe ( a single country according to most yanks) are different to them and they just can't get buy with a car sold world wide because it would seem every yank has to carry 1 ton of whatever around with them wherever they go.
    As such, it seems downsizing is out of the question to most yanks, the government simply has to get more fuel so the price goes down and they can squander it at will.

Here in Oz I wonder if Veg fuels will recieve the same hyped up media attention it did 5 years ago?
    The shorts for the current affairs shows all screamed about how to beat the high price of fuel by pulling up to your local fish and chip shop and pouring their used oil from lovely clean containers straight into your vehicle with no more prep than putting a chux cloth across the top of the funnel.

I wonder if we will see the same onslaught of Newbies all wanting to get into the veg fuel game under the guise of saving the planet and berating anyone that dares admit they are in it for the cost saving. How dare they! They are environmental Criminals even though the majority of the people that were interested in the money saving factor are still going it when the high and mighty green loudmouths have long ago decided it was all too hard and moved on to some other bright shiny cause to jump up and down about.

Maybe I should start buying up old 300D's and Mussols and make a killing offloading them to the new champions of veg and Biodiesel?
    FPHE's and Pollock valves will also be hot sellers once again no doubt and maybe the price of centrifuges will spin skyward again as well.
    It will also be interesting to see if any of the old hands are still desperate to promote Veg to all and sundry will again be jumping in to answer every single dumb question and post made in order to spread the word and have people put veg in every fuel tank despite the fact that is a totally and completely impossible fantasy.

I know this much, I won't be making the same mistakes again. I spent too much of my time helping people who were so Gung ho about veg then dropped it like a hot potato once the price of fuel went down again ( or they got used to the jump it took) less than 12 months later despite claiming to be so committed to saving the planet and all the other malarkey they rammed down everyones neck.
    I'm pretty sure that Journo from the Local ( not local to me though) paper will ring me yet again and pester me for another interview and story? She will get the same answer though. NO. If anyone wants my help and time this round, I'll be charging myself out as a consultant. Take it or leave it. My time is valuable and I won't be wasting it like I did last time.

There is no benefit to me in increasing the competition for supply especially when it's likely that all the commercial collectors will be after the oil with renewed interest as the price will surely go up as well.
    These lowlifes will no doubt go back to spreading fear and innuendo amongst the shop owners who they were never interested in helping take their oil away since they came and tried their stand over tactics and promises of unfulfilled payments for the oil they made since the last hike in value for the used oil. Since then they have gone back to it being too far out of their way or too little to be bothered with. I personally know a few shop owners that have been supplying me for years now will stick their spatulas up the backside of any commercial collector that comes calling after they broke promises and contracts they twisted the arms of the people to get to sign to in the first place.

And lets not forget all the forums and vendors of veg related paraphernalia that appeared out of the woodwork cashing in like little Al gores on the action that subsequently came and went. People that started forums with a mission to change the world also came along with their big ideas to save the world with veg also ditched their cause, a number of them with the money people paid for "life" memberships to forums that have either disappeared or haven't had a post for years.

Seems the more excited and louder noise people made about veg, the faster they disappeared and were never heard from again.

Now while I'm sure some of those that have taken on a self appointed moral duty to spread the gospel of veg to all and sundry will frown upon such comments and berate their negativity, before they do I'd like to see them point out where anything I have said is wrong or didn't happen. I'd also like to see them point out where any of the grandiose plans of Bio plants that sprung up like new planted corn and other miracles and turnarounds for renewable, clean, wonderful fuel ever came to fruition or if there were any lasting and real benefits from the last Veg fuels craze.
    Looking back, it really was the wild west there for a while.

Maybe now that veg fuels have had their 15 seconds of fame, the media will look at it as old hat and all the flash in the pan types will remember it's not as easy as going to the pump and won't be as excited and motivated the 2nd time. Then again, there are always a new bunch of suckers and twits born every minute so there will probably be an increase in interest even if not to the same levels as before.
    It will be interesting to see if there are a new wave of excited newbies all wanting to get in on the magic secret or people bit the bullet and start catching the bus... the cost of which will no doubt go up due to increased fuel costs.

Anyone ever notice how the price of fuel at the pump goes up for these one off events/ excuses but never actually comes down to the same level it was before that one off reason??

I suppose any resurgence in veg fuel will depend on how long the high pump prices last and what sort of BS the oil companies want to justify it with this time.
    As long as the Royal rug rat doesn't take up too much of the media's attention, maybe veg will get another boost in popularity with their half truth stories and articles fanning the craze?

Re: Will Veg Fuels get a new lease of life?

Posted at 12.46 am! You need more sleep!

Posted at 07:40 AM! You need more sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by 250downunder View Post
    Posted at 12.46 am! You need more sleep!

The early bird caught the worm! I was looking for you! :-)

The late bird gets very fast internet and no traffic on the roads.
    Where were you looking for me?

Time for my afternoon nap so I will be fresh to do some work this evening.

Peter

Wow that is some story.
    I for one will not help anyone that might snatch my patch. no stories either.

Yes we do suffer from rising fuel prices and again from people who decide they want to jump the band wagon. again they come and go though.

like Solar retailers , don't let the door hit you on the Ass on the way out.

Michael
    97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
    2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
    2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
    2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
    2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
    Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Quote Originally Posted by peter1 View Post
    I know this much, I won't be making the same mistakes again. I spent too much of my time helping people who were so Gung ho about veg then dropped it like a hot potato once the price of fuel went down again ( or they got used to the jump it took) less than 12 months later despite claiming to be so committed to saving the planet and all the other malarkey they rammed down everyones neck.
    If anyone wants my help and time this round, I'll be charging myself out as a consultant. Take it or leave it. My time is valuable and I won't be wasting it like I did last time.
    They come and go. I've not noticed any increase in interest recently. Even the visit to Perth by Alexander Noack from Germany only drew a handful of peeps out of the woodwork and most of them were already using veggie in one form or another.

And you're right about spending time being helpful. I'll only do my one on one session once they've paid up to be a member of WARFA - $50 full, $30 pensioners. I don't get anything from it, but at least it filters out the complete time wasters.

Another thing that limits growth is a general decline in 'handiness' or tinkering ability esp for veggie users. Converting the vehicle is one thing, but when you start showing them the filtering processes or the collection process, or the bio processing stuff; things that are potentially messy, complex to make and maintain etc, their excitement wanes.

It'll be interesting to see how the next months pan out as the price rises, but I'm thinking our patch is pretty safe for now.

Tim

Peter,

I agree with most of your sentiments - but i think you are being overly simplisitc if you think it is only the Americans who do idiotic things in terms of consumption of fuel. Who remembers all the stories about the Western Suburbs (Sydney) Australian families who were no going to be able to afford to feed their families because of fuel costs the last time around ? Yet what happens - nothing - they still want to buy their McMansions out West and head further and further out with new developments, and buy their V8 Commodores and Fords and then berate the Govt for not supplying them with any decent public transport.

Craig
    Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
    210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
    Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

I think it will simply because we need to do it.

Generally the way it works is that there is a first wave that generates hype, controversy and general weirdness, but then dies.

Then, because the need is still (and because the tech is now readily available and lessons learned) there is a second wave which catches on and booms.

Do you mean like Zeppelins and 8 track tapes?