Thread: Hj75 vs hzj75

Hj75 vs hzj75

Hey Fellas,
    So I have now got a cooking oil supply sorted, which I have been filtering and left to settle. But still haven't purchased a vehicle to run it in. I am after a work horse single cab ute to assist as needed work purposes, so have chosen on a land cruiser as I am told they are fairly tolerant of the WVO. I am however unsure about what model to get, Till now I have been told 2H is the way to go for reliability with the inline fuel pump being better and a bit more bullet proof set up. However it seems that there is little difference in price between an older 2h hj75 cruiser of 80's ( carrying rust and without luxury of A/C) compared to the newer 1hz HZJ75 models of the 90's having less kms and bit more power.
    So QUESTION -
    Is there really much difference in reliability for WVO conversion between the two or any other factors to consider?
    I don't mind either way just want all info I can get before purchasing one and discovering I went down the wrong path and giving me problems.

All input appreciated Scott

Re: Hj75 vs hzj75

Hi scooter098,

the 1HZ up to about 1996 is still IDI (indirect injection). If you get one with a IDI motor then its a great set up for a two tank system. I 've done one conversion on a 1HZ with factory duel tanks and it's never had any issues except injectors needed a clean and pop test. The 1HZ conversion is a bit different to the H series conversion. You will need a few extra parts so costs a bit more but you will get that back quickly once using wvo. A pollak valve or similar is the main added cost because the hi flow Bosch ip has a fuel return to tank line.

The extra power from the 1Hz is well worth getting if you are yet to buy a vehicle.

God bless, froggo.
    HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
    Home made 2 tank system
    Blending in main diesel tank
    SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

Re: Hj75 vs hzj75

I have a 1HZ in my 2001 cruiser and it's got precombustion chambers. It's not a 75 series, but they did extend into the 100 series still. Great engine.