Thread: Filtering Vs. Centrifuging.

Filtering Vs. Centrifuging.

I'm building a setup to clean wvo for a truck I'm converting to wvo. I started building a centrifuge thinking that was the best way to do it but after giving it some thought i have no way of really knowing if thats true. I've watched hundreds of online videos and read articles where everyone says their way is best, either centrifuge or filter, even if they are not trying to sell something. Has anyone tried both ways and figured out if one is really better than the other? Even if I do centrifuge I still plan on running through one filter just for safe measures but I'd like to know if a centrifuge is worth my time and money.

Re: Filtering Vs. Centrifuging.

You may get a few different answers regarding filtering compared to using a fuge. I filtered for many years and it was time consuming heavy, dirty work. Then ran into a bloke on the road who had a raw power fuge at home and invited me to have a look. One look at how it worked and what came out and that was it, went and bought one. Have been using it for about 5 years now and for me it's the only way to go.

However like all things, it's not fool proof and if you don't get your setting right, you get dirty oil. I have a fine filter after the fuge, so it traps anything that gets through and that normally happens when the bowl is full and forget to stop and clean it out.

They are cheap to run, but raw power use a 3 phase motor so you need a motor controller and it's best to buy one on ebay rather than the one they will want to sell you. The one from the USA, lasted a year and packed up, the one from ebay was less than half the price and has lasted ever since. I did situate it outside the fuge room, as things tend to get sticky in there. With a fuge, you can set and forget it, it does about 100lt a day and depending on the condition of the oil can go all day or just a couple of hours before needing cleaning.

With bag and other forms of filtering, you can only put in pretty clear oil, or the bag clogs up. With a fuge, if it pours in it goes and takes out all the solids, fats, crap and water. Bag filtering doesn't take out water, so you have to be careful.

I've deliberately put water saturated oil into the fuge to see what happens and the fuge takes it all out. There have been times when I couldn't work out why there was little oil coming out, only to stop the fuge and the bowl is full of water.

Flow rates is the most important thing to watch, let it through to fast and you get junk. The speed of the fuge and time it takes for the oil to get from the floor of the fuge bowl to the bowl rim, dictates how clean the oil is that comes out. A 3000rmp fuge will not take out all the crap and you may need to run it through at least twice. Raw power fuges run at 6000rpm, but with trial and error, cut it back to 5000rpm which keeps the fuge from becoming unbalanced, saves a bit of power and extends the life of the fuge.

Re: Filtering Vs. Centrifuging.

Hi Alga,

Originally posted by AAlga:
    They are cheap to run, but raw power use a 3 phase motor so you need a motor controller and it's best to buy one on ebay rather than the one they will want to sell you. The one from the USA, lasted a year and packed up, the one from ebay was less than half the price and has lasted ever since.
    The service life of an item would have more to do with the Brand and model of the item rather than where you buy it from.
    It would be helpful if you posted the brand and model of the Motor Controller that you found to be so reliable