Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 litre test batch with new oil issues

Re: 1 litre test batch with new oil issues

Quote Originally Posted by jasen View Post
    thanks heaps for your help,i really appreciate it , yeah it is a bit clearer.I did another new 1 litre test this arvo with 8g and 200ml of meth as you suggested, i pre mixed the methoxide for about 10 mins then poured it in while it was mixing.

i switched off the mixer for 1 minute and took a sample of bio at the 30min mark let it settle for 10 mins in a beaker of water that was at 20 degrees ,then i did a 27/3 test and let it settle for 30min it had a drop of oil fallout about 3mm in diameter on, so i ran the mix for another hour and took another sample and it still had fallout of about 1mm diameter.so i ran it for a bit longer.

will do 27/3 test tomorrow and a wash test (shake em up test ) and see what happens.

i must be doing something wrong if you reckon a liter sample should only take 10 mins , at the moment im mixing with a power drill set up on a drill stand in a hdpe( 2) 2 litre milk container.

thanks in advance
    failed both test

The 27/3 test tests for unconverted oil. The wash test checks for soaps. I don't think there is any correlation between these tests.
    Soaps drop out more rapidly when the methanol is removed (eg long term settling / bubble wash, etc)
    There is a technique of adding 10%(?) of reaction volume after processing, and stirring it thru, trapping the methanol in the water to assist in byproduct settling and removal. I have never tried this.

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    The 27/3 test tests for unconverted oil. The wash test checks for soaps. I don't think there is any correlation between these tests.
    Soaps drop out more rapidly when the methanol is removed (eg long term settling / bubble wash, etc)
    There is a technique of adding 10%(?) of reaction volume after processing, and stirring it thru, trapping the methanol in the water to assist in byproduct settling and removal. I have never tried this.

Tony
    Thanks tony ,i agree , the problem is i started out following the journey to forever website - only because it was the first one i found and it looked comprehensive and i was new to homebrewing , they mention that anything more than a paper thin white layer between the bio and water may be caused by an incomplete they also say that it may be from excess soap ,so ive probably been confused ,Ive since read that some of the info on the JTF website is out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by jasen View Post
    failed both test
    I think what a lot of people overlook is the type of fuel pump / injection system they will be running it in. When I first started out I had my knickers in a knot about conversion percentages etc. then I realised that plenty of people run straight vege oil in the same motor as mine. So I reasoned that as long as I got somewhere close to the mark (therefor my viscosity wasn't too adversely affected) conversion percentage isn't an issue. I haven't done a 27/3 test in a very long time. granted that's probably not best practice, but recent inspection of injectors after about 40k since my last replacement tells me that my fuel is atomising nicely and there is no carbon build up at all.

I am a bit slack and have never bothered with a soap test. I let my fuel age for as long as I can. it would be on average I guess about 3 months old before burning.

My approach doesn't suit everyone, but it seems to suit low technology engines / pumps like mine.

Jasen, try this site

It has lots of stuff that may be of help.

Careful guys, conversion % in bio that is washed will affect things, just ask me. Unwashed might have the benefit of stopping oil from coating pump internals and gumming things up. Unwashed is my plan too.Afterall methanol is used in french polishing as is ethanol to liquify the material so they have solvent capabilities.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Careful guys, conversion % in bio that is washed will affect things, just ask me. Unwashed might have the benefit of stopping oil from coating pump internals and gumming things up. Unwashed is my plan too.Afterall methanol is used in french polishing as is ethanol to liquify the material so they have solvent capabilities.

Matt, if you water wash you biodiesel there will be NO free methanol in it. Almost all the methanol will come out in the very first water wash.
    I always water wash, do not always have high conversion and have never had any problems.

You may have problems if you do not dry the biodiesel.

Not washing may have methanol in it which can provide some energy and possibly solvent properties, but you will still have some glycerine in it as well which is bad. Wash and settle and use in 2 weeks with no glycerine, or no wash settle for 3 months and still have traces of glycerine.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far