Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: looking at converting my 2002 Landcruiser with 1HZ engine to WVO

Re: looking at converting my 2002 Landcruiser with 1HZ engine to WVO

Series 80 cruisers, have a 10mm fuel line and in my experience, it's adequate to run vo with a push pump installed at the firewall

Perolin, take out the filter on the fuel line pickup in the main tank, that's probably what's blocking and put a push pump in just where the fuel line comes into the engine bay. Have found draining the tank won't remove the crap out of the tank, as the drain plug sits under the pick up, which sits in an open top box so the crap builds up in there and clogs the pick up. Have a separate switch for the push pump, so if you need to change a filter or have a blocked tank, you can pump fuel through the lines

I also have an inline throw away filter just before the main filter, which makes it easy to change on the road. You may be better off thinning your vo with dino, as unleaded tends to evaporate when heated and can lead to slowing of the fuel supply, plus unleaded is not designed for diesels, especially using rotary pumps.

My hdj80 loves vo and have installed a 168lt sub tank, along with 2 20lt jerry cans gives me over 2000klm range on vo. I purge with a 5lt tank in the engine bay and this only uses 1lt to clean the pump out, also switch the return line on which flushes it our fast. When ti stop for the day, switch to the urge tank and the turbo timer switches off after 1min, so all very easy and you know the system is clean of vo. All you have to do next day is startup and switch to vo, by the time the engine is warm you are ready to go.

On my 12ht cruiser, have replaced the fuel lines with 12mm as it only had 8mm and restricted the flow.

Perolin,
    As you can see, there are different ways of achieving the same end. Some require more effort than others, some cost more, some less. some provide additional benefits (eg priming).
    The things we all agree on are that you need to help the flow of oil from the tank to the filter and that the filter should be close to the IP.

As with many forums, there are a variety of opinions all of which are valid. Decide what suits you best and proceed.

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    2000 Ford Courier Crew Cab 2.5L Turbodiesel on Blended veggie oil.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Hi all

have just done 10,000km since using vo. Always starting on diesel and purging with diesel for 10 mins before turning off. Still changing filters every 2000 km or so, not too much of a problem for me as I can travel home on diesel and then change filter in 10 mins at home. I always carry a spare filter just in case too far from home,

i have left stock standard so far. Too much happening at work and home to spend a day modifying.

thanks for your advice again guys.

cheeers paul

Paul. What you have is fine for as long as you like to have it that way.
    Do you have a second fuel filter for the veggie oil? If not the main fuel filter can clog up enough that the diesel will not flow fast enough to run the engine at full power.
    I have just gotten a 2000 Ford Courier 2.5TD. I added a small prefilter to catch the diesel bug which is released when you add veggie or biodiesel to the tank. I have swapped it out twice now and the 3rd one is showing signs of the crap in it already. Good thing is that these filters are washable and I have a spare cleaned and ready to go and the other one is in the solution to clean it. (dilute caustic soda solution).

These only cost about $6-8 each and are standard prefilters for a Mercedes 300D using the OM617 engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prefilter1.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	2298  
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    2000 Ford Courier Crew Cab 2.5L Turbodiesel on Blended veggie oil.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

At risk of hijacking thread - (ill be brief) - the little ford courier is a great car, I am on my second now. I had a mazda B2500 (same car, same engine) but sold it last year to swap for the particular courier I bought as the back seat was too small on the freestyle cab on the Mazda.

It loves bio. If you want a few tips and tricks on these Tony (not necessarily bio / WVo related), let me know and Ill make a new thread with what I have found.
    Regards,

Cade.

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100 (1HD-FTE) 20,000 on bio
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), 10,000 on bio
    2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)