Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: looking at converting my 2002 Landcruiser with 1HZ engine to WVO

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    537

    Re: looking at converting my 2002 Landcruiser with 1HZ engine to WVO

    Quote Originally Posted by Captaincademan View Post

    I'm not sure if veggie users have the same problem as bio users like me with regard to rubber seals being destroyed, but if it is the case, did you swap out the main shaft seal on the pump for a viton one?
    Cades, in the couple of decades been using VO, never had a seal problem, as far as ulp effecting seals, it would depend on whether the seals are for diesel or ulp, as there is a difference I believe.

    Perolin, (Paul), you may find it easier and cheaper to use inline throwaway filters, or an inline re-usable filter, they are pretty cheap I think but they catch any crap in the fuel and can be changed in less than a minute on the road.

    I've had an ongoing problem with the main tank in my 80 series 1hDT, in the years I've had it the diesel bugs still block the system. In the main tank there is a plastic thing designed to keep fuel flowing when the vehicle is on an extreme angle and that's where the crud accumulates, so drained the tank and drilled a hole through the plastic, now the crud builds up under the plastic thing can drain it out quickly. Hopefully it should be all gone very soon.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Booral NSW
    Posts
    13

    Re: looking at converting my 2002 Landcruiser with 1HZ engine to WVO

    Quote Originally Posted by Alga View Post
    Cades, in the couple of decades been using VO, never had a seal problem, as far as ulp effecting seals, it would depend on whether the seals are for diesel or ulp, as there is a difference I believe.

    Perolin, (Paul), you may find it easier and cheaper to use inline throwaway filters, or an inline re-usable filter, they are pretty cheap I think but they catch any crap in the fuel and can be changed in less than a minute on the road.

    I've had an ongoing problem with the main tank in my 80 series 1hDT, in the years I've had it the diesel bugs still block the system. In the main tank there is a plastic thing designed to keep fuel flowing when the vehicle is on an extreme angle and that's where the crud accumulates, so drained the tank and drilled a hole through the plastic, now the crud builds up under the plastic thing can drain it out quickly. Hopefully it should be all gone very soon.
    hi thanks for the advice
    i have been running on 90% filtered used veggie oil and 10% ulp(not ethanol) for over 2 years (~90,000km) now without too many issues apart from the blocked fuel filters. I would recommend as I have saved soo much money. Itís a bit of a hassle to pickup oil from several cafes, pubs and restaurants then filter but the savings have outweighed the extra time by a long shot!

    my sub tank, which I have straight diesel has just recently now stopped working, so will have to drop and inspect. Will inspect for the crud and look at the plaatic thing. So far have run 3 weeks on veggie oil without purging with diesel with no issue. When I start on straight veggie oil I have found turning keys to allow glow plugs to heat up 2-3 times before cranking to work better.

    currently working from home 3 days a week so find veggie oil building up so am putting ad on gumtree to sell 10-20 20litre drums of unfiltered oil. If anyone in Booral / Stroud interested, can provide for free to form members for $1 / 20litre drum if they pickup.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Walpole, Western Australia
    Posts
    14

    Re: looking at converting my 2002 Landcruiser with 1HZ engine to WVO

    Hi I see this sleepy thread has woken up again so am going to post my related question here.

    I've just bought a 1998 1HZ Land Cruiser 105 and am getting ready to run it on SVO. I've been using SVO for over 10 years on a couple of Mercedes W123s, a Musso and a Peugeot 405 SRDT so I don't consider myself a complete beginner.

    But the Land Cruiser has some different features that I'd be keen to get opinions on.

    1. Having already 2 fuel tanks it would seem ripe to be used with a 2 tank system. But do you need to modify the tank switch valve plumbing to introduce a delay on the return line to reduce mixing of Diesel and veg oil? And also to have separate filters for each tank?

    2. A significantly larger engine than any of my previous conversions - what kind of lift pump (if any) would be best?

    Also I notice earlier in the thread a recommendation to have the veg oil filter as close as possible to the IP. Why is this? On one of my W123s I put the pre-filter in the boot and it seemed fine there.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    4,347

    Re: looking at converting my 2002 Landcruiser with 1HZ engine to WVO

    Quote Originally Posted by avidscavenger View Post
    Hi I see this sleepy thread has woken up again so am going to post my related question here.

    I've just bought a 1998 1HZ Land Cruiser 105 and am getting ready to run it on SVO. I've been using SVO for over 10 years on a couple of Mercedes W123s, a Musso and a Peugeot 405 SRDT so I don't consider myself a complete beginner.

    But the Land Cruiser has some different features that I'd be keen to get opinions on.

    1. Having already 2 fuel tanks it would seem ripe to be used with a 2 tank system. But do you need to modify the tank switch valve plumbing to introduce a delay on the return line to reduce mixing of Diesel and veg oil? And also to have separate filters for each tank?

    2. A significantly larger engine than any of my previous conversions - what kind of lift pump (if any) would be best?

    Also I notice earlier in the thread a recommendation to have the veg oil filter as close as possible to the IP. Why is this? On one of my W123s I put the pre-filter in the boot and it seemed fine there.
    Answers;
    1. It would be best to have a delay on the return line changeover to diesel to minimise the amount of veggie oil mixing in the diesel tank. That said, you are looking at a small amount of veggie oil (basically the contents of the fuel filter (if using a common fuel filter) , the contents of the IP and the return fuel lines. This would amount to less then 250mL at each change over to diesel. If you have separate fuel filters and the C/O valve was located to just before the IP, then ir would be somewhat less veggie oil entering the diesel tank.
    If you have a looped return (with optional return to veggie fuel tank) then almost no veggie would return to the diesel tank. If you get air in the fuel lines, then change the loop to return to the veggie tank. This could be used on diesel or veggie as it does not matter if veggie is contaminated by diesel.
    2.Rather than adding a lift pump, why not increase the size of the fuel lines to & from the veggie tank, to minimise flow restrictions.
    eg a 3mm ID fuel line has a cross sectional area of 7 sq mm, a 5mm ID fuel line has a cross sectional area of 19.6 sq mm and a 8mm ID fuel line 50 sq mm.
    This requires no electrical connection, it is not a fault liability like some electrical fuel pumps and, if installed securely will last the life of the vehicle, and more.

    Placing the fuel filter close to the IP means it gets heat from the engine bay. It is less likely to mess up your boot carpet and it is easy to access for servicing.
    There may be other reasons, but these are enough.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

    Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

    Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

    Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts


  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Walpole, Western Australia
    Posts
    14

    Re: looking at converting my 2002 Landcruiser with 1HZ engine to WVO

    Thanks Tony, some good suggestions there. Definitely a looped return is a good one. I've considered putting in larger fuel lines in the past but it always seemed like such a big job. Do you also modify the outlet from the fuel tank so that it isn't a choke point? Do you use rubber fuel hose or flexible alloy? What about routing and mounting it - follow the existing fuel lines or find another way? Can you point me to any guides to the job?

    Thanks as always.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    4,347

    Re: looking at converting my 2002 Landcruiser with 1HZ engine to WVO

    Quote Originally Posted by avidscavenger View Post
    Thanks Tony, some good suggestions there. Definitely a looped return is a good one. I've considered putting in larger fuel lines in the past but it always seemed like such a big job. Do you also modify the outlet from the fuel tank so that it isn't a choke point? Do you use rubber fuel hose or flexible alloy? What about routing and mounting it - follow the existing fuel lines or find another way? Can you point me to any guides to the job?

    Thanks as always.
    The restriction of a short section of smaller bore pipe will not impact on the performance of the fuel system if you are increasing the fuel line ID. The increased fuel delivery pipe ID will reduce fuel flow restriction significantly.
    I suggest that you get some nylon air line in the size you prefer and leave the stock fuel line in place. Get adapters for your nylon air line, with hose barbs to mate with the stock flexible fuel hose at each end of the new pipe. Use cable ties to secure the air line to the stock fuel delivery pipe so it follows the same path under the vehicle.

    Please take photos to share on this thread.

    Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

    Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

    Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

    Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •