Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IP Adjustments

Re: IP Adjustments

Can I just ask. When you say "loosened", can you just loosen the mounting bolt or do you need to remove it and the 4 bolts mentioned in the manual?

Sorry, I meant remove the bolts numbered "4".

You just loosen the bolts numbered 4 and there is also one on the back of the pump. They are a little hard to see on the engine, and i had to remove the top mount of the damper for the serpentine belt to get to one of the top bolts. The hardest part is locating the bolts, once you fine them it only takes 5 minutes.

Thanks.

So then I understand you:

1. turn the adjuster 3 turns CCW
    2. tighten everything back up
    3. start the engine and listen for noise

Did you notice any particular noise that told you 3 turns was enough? Could you run the engine without tightening the bolts back up so you could make further adjustment before tightening things?

I'm thinking its probably a bad idea to run the engine with the bolts lose, but i see why you would want to it would make tuning it much easier. I read the whole thread and that was the advice after a number of people had spent quite a bit of time playing, and it worked well for me.
    If you advance an diesel too far you WILL know it make a horrible clattering sound. Mine now sounds like a morden diesel at idle a healthy muted diesel rattle. Before it was very quite at idle and almost sounded like a petrol engine with loose tappets.
    I don't think the adjustments were to get every last drop of horsepower out of your engine, just to make the vechlie more driveable and reliable.

Thanks, that has answered some of the finer points for me.