Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mazda Bravo / Ford Courier 2.5 Turbodiesel Tips n Tricks

Re: Mazda Bravo / Ford Courier 2.5 Turbodiesel Tips n Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Chev28 View Post
    Hi Tony,

Why not try draining the blend out and going back to diesel or bio until you can isolate the exact issue?
    I did that. What a difference. My blend was not mixed before adding to the tank. as a result undiluted veggie oil was being drawn into the IP and didn't flow fast enough to give full power from the engine. I drained about 35 litres from the tank, leaving around 25 litres in the tank, and added 13 litres of diesel and swirled it to help it mix in the tank, by swerving and using power on/off to agitate the tank contents, and she is giving full power once again.

Note: the gauge is indicating 1/2 tank after adding the diesel.

Tomorrow I will add 20 litres (of 20% misfuel in veggie) to the tank and see how it goes then. I will use the brakes going down our driveway to assist with slosh mixing the current tank contents and the added blend, then go for a test drive down the highway and back up it to see if the power has been affected.

I am not confident enough to remove the top of the IP. I have lost enough sleep over poorly blended furls to open another can of worms.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    2000 Ford Courier Crew Cab 2.5L Turbodiesel on Blended veggie oil.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chev28 View Post
    Does the tank have a gauze over its internal pickup?
    That is a good question. I will think about dropping the tank sometime in the future to check the interior of the tank and, if needed, I will clean it out.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel. [Head gasket blew!]

Great news that you have a solution to go back to each time to get back to 100% power.

With your experience Tony, I'm sure you can now refine the process to find the sweet spot.

I have had a few instances of reduced power from the engine. In each case, I have replaced the fuel prefilter and the performance has been restored.
    I have 3 prefilters and have one in the cleaning solution, one in use and one ready for use.
    I will see how many times I need to clean it until the fuel filter remains clean for a complete tank of fuel.

I did buy the spare IP for it. I am prepared for the worst case scenario. In the meantime I will be putting a Tee piece in the fuel line after the main fuel filter to monitor the fuel pressure / suction, so I can see the suction level at which the power loss occurs.

Previous Vehicles:

How much was the IP Tony?
    Regards,

Cade.

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100 (1HD-FTE) 20,000 on bio
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), 10,000 on bio
    2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)

$200. It is from a 2004 model so has extra electronics bolted to it. I can easily remove them and make it work in my Courier.
    I am persisting with the original one to see how I go with blends. I would like to get to 70% veggie oil, but I an unsure if this IP will manage that viscosity.

Previous Vehicles:

I hope it is just a thing with the old IP Tony and that the new IP will fix it. 70% seems a bit on the thinner side and of course means more misfuel to be collected and filtered.

Strange that the prefilters are filling up each time. Maybe you will get to the light at the end of the tunnel once all the crud passes through.

Did you say it had a pusher pump? If not, Cade was saying it would be easy to fit one under the rear seat on the driver's side. Those cheap ebay Facet pumps seems to be popular.

Just knock up a little bracket first. I made a cross out of two bits of 30mm angle welded together.

https://ibb.co/g7rhH9C

https://ibb.co/9hbGdjG

A pair of needle nose pliers to pull off the clip holding the fuel hose on to the tank outlet and to fit your own. You have to do that bit by feel unfortunately. if you have the single cab or freestyle cab its a bit easier as there is more clearance than on the dual cab.
    Regards,

Cade.

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100 (1HD-FTE) 20,000 on bio
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), 10,000 on bio
    2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)

I feel that the fuel starvation issue may be related to the small bore fuel lines on the Courier. I will investigate going to 10 mm ID pipe for the fuel supply line.
    It will give significantly less restriction to fuel flow then the fuel lines that are fitted as standard.

Previous Vehicles:

That should make a difference, it probably has 8mm fuel line now which has an ID of about 6mm. 10mm iD is about 3x the volume. I reckon you are pushing the envelope a little Tony running WVO through a VE pump without a conversion. As you know the Mercs with inline pump will take it easily but I have found my Jackaroo (with VE pump) hates it when I forget to flush.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 180000km on WVO,(2018) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 5000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins