Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fat fail

Re: Fat fail

Tilly the trouble is it isn't 'glop' like in consistency, it is about the consistency of margarine. So mixing anything with it is next to impossible without heating it up.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 190000km on WVO,(2019) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 11000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins

Hi Johnojack,

You can always throw it away but then you have lost $50 worth of methanol
    As long as you keep your reactor closed I do not think the methanol is going anywhere soon
    The stuff I mixed was quite thick and it readily broke when I added the extra methoxide. Have you tried mixing it? you might be surprised at the results. The most you will lose is 20ml- 30ml methanol and 3.5g NaOH

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mark View Post
    Hi John,

Your problem is that you were using the wrong method. If you'd used my FRT method you wouldn't have had that problem, and of course you wouldn't have had to bother with a titration.

But as to how to break the emulsion, if anything'll work, it's salting it out. But it probably won't
    One further thought on this. If you have an emulsion, a calcium salt may break it. It is of course known that calcium has a very high affinity for traditional soap, which is why synthetic detergents were developed in the first place.

Calcium chloride would be pretty cheap from a chemical supplier (drierite)

Mark you need to go back and read what I said the problem was in my first post. I don't have an emulsion I don't have any soap I have 90 litres of solid partly converted fat with the consistency of margarine, (from the fridge).
    I could heat it over a gas flame but with all the methanol in it that would be foolish. BtW I don't find doing a titration on every batch difficult to do or see it as a chore. Whatever your FRT method is I can't see how it would have compensated for making a simple error with the amount of catylist required.
    Last edited by Johnnojack; 11th March 2019 at 07:32 PM.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 190000km on WVO,(2019) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 11000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    Mark you need to go back and read what I said the problem was in my first post. I don't have an emulsion I don't have any soap I have 90 litres of solid partly converted fat with the consistency of margarine, (from the fridge).
    I could heat it over a gas flame but with all the methanol in it that would be foolish. BtW I don't find doing a titration on every batch difficult to do or see it as a chore. Whatever your FRT method is I can't see how it would have compensated for making a simple error with the amount of catylist required.
    Yes, sorry I didn't read it properly. My method eliminates both titrations and heating. I have two degrees in Chemistry and 30y experience in chemical manufacturing. Thus I make 1000L at a time in an IBC. The link on my website has videos of the process
    Last edited by Dr Mark; 13th March 2019 at 11:25 PM.

Does your non heating method work when making fat into biodiesel? If so please share.
    Johnnojack

Hi Mark,

Originally posted by Mark:
    I have two degrees in Chemistry and 30y experience in chemical manufacturing
    And yet you continue to deny that the normal single stage base procedure can make biodiesel at room temperature and still claim your procedure is foolproof.

Finally found some time to have another go at this. Mixed 40 grams of NaOH with 250ml of methanol (would not dissolve in 150ml) and added it to 10litres of 'fat' which I'd warmed up with a couple of small immersion heaters connected in series.
    Mixed it like crazy for 10 minutes, seemed to go a bit thinner then left it overnight. Cool this morning and the mix is now gloop, not butter but not biodiesel unfortunately. Should I pop it in the solar heater and see if it separates?
    Johnnojack

If by "fat" you mean tallow or lard, then it might be wet. A formula for sodium soap is fatty acid triglyceride plus sodium hyroxide in the presence of water yields soap plus regenerated water via the saponification reaction. If almost no water is present then you might get more of the transesterification biodiesel producing reaction. It seems to me that 5 grams per litre of sodium hydroxide would be plenty for the transesterification reaction (biodiesel producing reaction mechanism).
    Last edited by WesleyB; 7th April 2019 at 06:54 PM.

[QUOTE=Johnnojack;66520]250ml of methanol and added it to 10litres of 'fat'[QUOTE]

With all due respect, Are you just chucking darts at the wall to come up with these numbers?

You would need 2 litres of methanol with 10 litres of oil/fats.