Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Use for bio waste?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    numurkah
    Posts
    567

    Use for bio waste?

    just saw a doco on concrete, and the builder put 20l of his "secret concrete conditioner" into the truck just before the pour. He slipped up though and said that "glycerine" makes the mix more slippery so it flows better into the forms sets more quickly and gives a better surface finish. There was a shot showing him pour what looks like biodiesel glycerine into the mixer. Do you think that is what his secret concrete conditioner is?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Brisbane (North Side)
    Posts
    736

    Re: Use for bio waste?

    Sound like a twist on plasticisers that brickies use in mortar. Most plasticisers are very similar to a good strong detergent. The plasticiser helps the ‘workability’ of the mix.

    As as for what it does for strength in curing though, I would not be using it in structural concrete. Probably ok for footpaths and the like.
    Regards,

    Cade.

    2006 Landcruiser HDJ100 (1HD-FTE) 20,000 on bio
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), 10,000 on bio
    2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    numurkah
    Posts
    567

    Re: Use for bio waste?

    He was using it on a building, one of those god awful architecture designed concrete lego box McMansions.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    188

    Re: Use for bio waste?

    Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    just saw a doco on concrete, and the builder put 20l of his "secret concrete conditioner" into the truck just before the pour. He slipped up though and said that "glycerine" makes the mix more slippery so it flows better into the forms sets more quickly and gives a better surface finish. There was a shot showing him pour what looks like biodiesel glycerine into the mixer. Do you think that is what his secret concrete conditioner is?
    Bit hard to see how 20L in a truckload would make any difference

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Townsville, North Queensland
    Posts
    629

    Re: Use for bio waste?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mark View Post
    Bit hard to see how 20L in a truckload would make any difference
    You really think so?

    Well try this next time you get to doing some concreting done. Chuck a 2 kg bag of sugar into the back of the truck and get them to give it a real got mixing. You should have lost of extra time to spread the concrete.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    188

    Re: Use for bio waste?

    Quote Originally Posted by Qwarla View Post
    You really think so?

    Well try this next time you get to doing some concreting done. Chuck a 2 kg bag of sugar into the back of the truck and get them to give it a real got mixing. You should have lost of extra time to spread the concrete.
    Sorry I don't understand the point you're making.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    numurkah
    Posts
    567

    Re: Use for bio waste?

    I don't know how much he put in the back of the truck, the Doco showed him pouring a 20L container in for about 2 seconds but it could have been a diffent amount, they didn't say. He could of put 10 of them in, and edited it out, becuase it not that interesting watch someone pour stuff into the mixer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    188

    Re: Use for bio waste?

    Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    I don't know how much he put in the back of the truck, the Doco showed him pouring a 20L container in for about 2 seconds but it could have been a diffent amount, they didn't say. He could of put 10 of them in, and edited it out, becuase it not that interesting watch someone pour stuff into the mixer.
    Yes, could be. Well of course the glycerol would be highly alkaline, the same as the cement, so it'd probably blend in pretty well

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Brisbane (North Side)
    Posts
    736

    Re: Use for bio waste?

    I work for a builder. A commercial high rise builder. I am their design manager.

    Trust me, if you are going to expect any sort of strength out of any concrete batch, its mix must be exacting.

    Mortar that brickies use cures very soft, with very little structural integrity. It has a very low compression strength compared to structural concrete blends. It works as it 'pads' out the forces that the irregular shaped bricks provide.

    accordingly, mortar mixes are pretty forgiving to the introduction of admixtures, hence the plasticiser.

    However, structural concrete mixes are not. Qwarla's point about a small amount of sugar completely ruining an entire 8m3 of concrete is absolutely correct. the old heads that cart concrete and care for their builder usually have a bottle of fanta or coke in the cab, kept there just incase the builder is running behind or the batching plant sent the trucks too close together. a concrete brew is only able to placed if it is within 90 mins of being batched. if the trucks have to wait, just occasionally a driver will squirt some soft drink into the mix to stop it going off.

    There are many factors in concrete design, not just strength. Resistance to carbonation, overall alkalinity, rate of cure, compressive strength at 7, 14, 28 days, resistance to surface stress etc etc the list goes on.

    If you ask me, (and I have not seen the doco) i would be very surprised if the bloke knew what he was doing. very highly recommended to any one reading this, only put Sand, Aggregate and Portland cement in your concrete, and ofcourse reinforcing (the steel kind not bicycle frames, tin cans and corrugated steel roofing off cuts). Nothing else.
    Regards,

    Cade.

    2006 Landcruiser HDJ100 (1HD-FTE) 20,000 on bio
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), 10,000 on bio
    2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Townsville, North Queensland
    Posts
    629

    Re: Use for bio waste?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mark View Post
    Sorry I don't understand the point you're making.
    The point is 2 kg of sugar in a 6 cubic metre truck load of concrete is enough to stop it from setting. So if you think 20 litres of byproduct would have no effect, then maybe you need to rethink it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •