Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mazda Bravo / Ford Courier 2.5 Turbodiesel on WVO Blends

Re: Mazda Bravo / Ford Courier 2.5 Turbodiesel on WVO Blends

I have recently converted a 2005 2.5TD Courier with an Elsbett (ANC) kit to run on 100% WVO. There is a small fuel pump and a fuel heater during warmup, as well as longer glow plugs and different injector nozzles and a flat plate heat exchanger.

Engine starts well. Experienced a bad cold start once and lots of white exhaust vapor at 4 degrees c in extremely humid conditions.

Idle is rough and fluctuates. Turning up the idle speed a bit helps but hasn't satisfied me. Possible ideas are fuel starvation (cold oil in tank too thick), blocked injector nozzle or filters. Engine being at full running temperature doesn't improve the idle.

Engine handles loads fine.

Conversion is recent. Have done almost 1000kms.

Re: Mazda Bravo / Ford Courier 2.5 Turbodiesel on WVO Blends

Hi Culley,
    I had similar issues with a blend until the IP died. I have now found the cause of the IP failure. someone had water in their fuel tank and added a heap of metho to the tank to clean it out. I was given this fuel to use for blending. I did this in the fuel I added to the Courier. which resulted in the IP failure. I only found out by chance when I caught up with the donor of the fuel and asked him about it.
    I have a sample of it in a bottle and there is a definite line between the petrol and the water / metho mix. I threw some of the bottom layer onto a fire and it reacted just like petrol would, with no sounds pof sizzling (water boiling off).

Lesson learnt.
    Do a thorough visual check of all fuel used for blending, drain off any suspect fuel. Ask questions of the people giving the misfuel so you know why they are giving it away.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts