Thread: Anyone run an X5 on bio?

Anyone run an X5 on bio?

I have the opportunity to buy one. Anyone running one on B100?

It has an inline factory fuel heater - I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for B100.

Anyone got any experience with these?

Re: Anyone run an X5 on bio?

Hi Mark,

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mark View Post
    It has an inline factory fuel heater - I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for B100.
    You Have got your hands on a rare bird there!
    It has an Allison-A-17 turbojet, so I would think it should run on biodiesel.
    A lot of jets do have fuel heaters so it is no doubt an advantage

Bell X5
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 10th April 2019 at 02:05 AM.

Smile Re: Anyone run an X5 on bio?

Tilly, you are funny today, I PMSL
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    2000 Ford Courier Crew Cab 2.5L Turbodiesel on Blended veggie oil.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

So no-one knows huh? Gotta say that's a bit surprising given their popularity but perhaps therein lies a tale... Didn't get a reply on the infopop forum either.

Perhaps no one knows because those that have them have abandoned the idea and therefore no longer log onto biofuels forums. But it doesn't matter - their drivetrain isn't up to scratch for offroad. I'll sticj with the 'cruiser

Hi Mark,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Perhaps no one knows because those that have them have abandoned the idea and therefore no longer log onto biofuels forums.
    I think you will find that those that have them have never heard of biodiesel and in any case would never consider dirtying their hands making biodiesel.

I'll sticj with the 'cruiser
    Just curious, if I were tempted to sticj with my Musso, how would I go about doing it?

Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 10th April 2019 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mark View Post

Anyone got any experience with these?
    Is this a vehicle with a diesel powered fuel heater? What purpose does the fuel heater serve in this application? Why would it need heating? Is this for using solid veggie oil?
    I have never heard of an X5, apart from the aircraft. (Thanks Tilly for refreshing my memory)

More information in your first post would have set the context for your question.
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    2000 Ford Courier Crew Cab 2.5L Turbodiesel on Blended veggie oil.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

It’s a factory component that BMW had on their E53 diesel models. I believe it’s electrically powered and its role is to heat the fuel to 100deg to aid atomisation. Not sure what’s in it but I’d be concerned about the effect of bio on any rubber components it may have.
    i used to own one of these but never ran it on bio. I once filled up from a Gull and the fuel management system gave an error message. Took it to my mechanic and he said that the fuel had water in it. The result was a great enough increase in viscosity to cause an error message. And given that bio is more viscous than Dino thecsame thing would probably happen.
    But it’s a moot point anyway. I’ve lost interest in them. The awd system isn’t very good. I’ll stick with the landcruiser

Cant beat a cruiser. magnificent vehicle. they are a bit exxy compared to everything else in the ageing second hand market, but if you look after it, it will certainly look after you.
    Regards,

Cade.

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100 (1HD-FTE) 20,000 on bio
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), 10,000 on bio
    2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)