Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posting an Image

Posting an Image

Had to start a new thread as the other one is closed.

Yes Tony - I've seen the posting about the Word Document, but it's not really a whole lot of use if it doesn't appear in the actual post.

Is there no way other than a photohosting site?

Re: Posting an Image

I've now set up a photo hosting account at imjur but it won't let me post on this site. I copy and paste the URL but it keeps saying Invalid File.

Mark,
    When you reply to a thread, the [Quick Reply] window opens. To access the Manage Attachments function, you need to click on [Go Advanced].
    Then scroll down to click on the [Manage Attachments] button to open the attachment function.
    Unfortunately, this function has not worked well for many years.
    Using a Doc file is the best I have been able to provide.
    I will ask the forum owner if he can look at the Manage Attachments function and make it work for other file formats.
    Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    Mark,
    When you reply to a thread, the [Quick Reply] window opens. To access the Manage Attachments function, you need to click on [Go Advanced].
    Then scroll down to click on the [Manage Attachments] button to open the attachment function.
    Unfortunately, this function has not worked well for many years.
    Using a Doc file is the best I have been able to provide.
    I will ask the forum owner if he can look at the Manage Attachments function and make it work for other file formats.
    Regards,
    Tony
    Well yes, that'd be good, but I can't get the photo hosting approach to work either. I click on the Insert Image icon abd it gives me the option of uploading an image from my computer or inserting a URL. At the moment neither is working. I've never encountered a forum website where inserting images was so difficult to do

Made a basic change. Essentially downgraded an option for handling images to an older method that is not as good. Hopefully however it works. Not as good is better than not at all!
    I have added a small image as an attachment by the following method - Click "go advanced", scroll down to "Manage Attachments" and click the button. This will bring up another little window that should allow you to upload files. You can choose either ones from your own computer, or post a link to them. Add them in and click "upload". They should then show in "current attachments". Close this window when complete. Submit your reply and the attachment should be under it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Biofuel%20Logo.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	2305  
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

OK, that worked. Now I'm going to try adding an image inline rather than underneath as an attachment. Click on the "insert image" button above the text window.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Insert Image.PNG 
Views:	287 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	2306 Browse to the image and click "Upload File" (You can also link to another image elsewhere with this method if you want).
    At this point, it should show just a text code for now. The image should appear properly inline after you post.

Name:	BBcode Image.PNG 
Views:	278 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	2307
    Now I click "post quick reply" and hopefully you will see 2 images inline with my text.

Yes, it worked. Please note, it will only show thumbnails of the images, you need to click them to show full size.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Now I will check attaching an image via side-loading it from another site.
    I go to google images and look for a picture and I find this one. (Click "Insert Image" icon above and then click "from URL". Paste in the URL where the image is. If you wanted to, you can click "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" which will download a copy from the other site and then store it also on this site.) It should now display under this text.

Name:	biofuels222278.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	2308
    This is essentially the same as attaching an image, just a different method to achieve the same end.

I will now try the same thing, but this time not ticking the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally". This should have the same end-result, but it will side-load the image directly from the site it is hosted in. This option is better for the storage and bandwidth of this site, but it can also cause some issues. Some side-loaded items can be malicious, so some ad-blockers and other online safety utilities can block them out of hand. Also, some providers don't like this practice and some of the photo hosting sites try to prevent side-loading from other sites. Your mileage may vary, as they say, but for the purposes of this test, this image should work.

You'll notice that the image code for this now displays the link in an IMG tag instead of the ATTACH tag, which you should only see before you submit the post. Once it is submitted, it should just display the image inline. It may take slight longer to load it depending on where it is coming from.

You'll see also that the attached image shows as a thumbnail, while the side-loaded image shows at full size.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

OK boys & girls. This seems to work now. Sorry it was broken for so long. It was an easy fix, though I'm not happy with the method being used at the moment and I suspect while it worked OK on my tests above it may not be robust enough to survive general use - time will tell.

Finally, I will also try attaching some other file types, not just images. I'll do a DOC, a TXT and a PDF and test that they work too.

Seems to work OK, however, it didn't like the more modern (current) version of Microsoft Word (.docx) and it rejected the upload. I had to save it into the older (.doc) format and then it uploaded happily. You should see 3 working attachments below.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Robert. Thank you. It will help forum members explain things with the aid of attachments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woo_hoo!_poster.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	2312  
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Thanks Robert

Much appreciated