Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine oil level increases between changes

Re: Engine oil level increases between changes

More jobs to do first. Remove intercooler, clean everything in sight, remove injector pipes after labelling a couple of them with masking tape. Use kitchen foil over the ends of pipes injectors and injector ports.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 190000km on WVO,(2019) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 11000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins

Well I got the pump out today. I couldn't rival your speed though, Johnno. Started at 8:00 and it was 12:30 before I had it out.

I will remove the timing gear tomorrow, but don't have a puller, so was thinking I'll hit the nut with a rattle gun. I did that on the Merc pump and the shaft didn't even rotate.

Timorcoco has a spare seal from his Rodeo so hopefully that fits and I don't need to hunt around for another.

Having said that, the pump has 6 years and 60,000 km of B100 on it + another year and unknown km of dino before that. Should I consider paying $1,200 for an exchange pump or just do the seal?

I suppose I really should check my valve clearances too while the obstructions are removed.......
    Last edited by 3DB; 26th May 2019 at 09:29 PM.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

I wouldn't get an exchange one, change the seal and the o rings on the pressure regulating valve. Take the screws out of the cap on the turbo compensating diaphragm and check under the diaphragm if the fuel is leaking into there. If it is you wll need to change the little o ring on the pin. Bit hard to explain but it is one point where a bio rotted o ring can cause trouble.
    Check the valve clearances for sure, supposed to be done every 40000ks I think, who does that?
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 190000km on WVO,(2019) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 11000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins

The other o ring that can fail is the pair (or it may be just one on yours) on the shut off solenoid. I had a failure in my old landcruiser that caused it to keep 'dieseling'. Had to stall it on the brakes every time.
    Regards,

Cade.

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100 (1HD-FTE) 20,000 on bio
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), 10,000 on bio
    2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)

I'm pretty sure I replaced all the externally accessible o-rings with Viton a few years ago.

But that may be irrelevant now. I got the timing gear off and removed the old seal by drilling 2 x 1mm holes in the seal casing and using 2 wood screws to lever it out.

I think I can feel a ridge in the shaft all the way up near the bearing. I can't tell if this is a show-stopper or not as the back of the seal does have a bit of a taper in that area.

I made a couple of videos to try to show where I mean. Also there is a bit of play in the shaft, but I'm told this is not a major concern? Have a looks and see what you reckon.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e3uok2kw5...IgR3y_N7a?dl=0
    3DB

Mate thatís not a viton seal. Viton seals are brown in colour. Well at least the ones I have seen are. I wouldnít fit that as you will only be pulling it off again in a couple of years. I donít know much about the expected play in the shaft. I am personally surprised there is any though. I expected all play to be taken up with the bearing.

If the ridge is behind where the seal goes to, itís probably just tooling marks from when it was turned down.

Get a a new viton seal is my advice.
    Regards,

Cade.

Does seem like a lot of play in that shaft, you can actually see it (video) rather than just feel it which is a bit harder to transmit by electronic means. I just checked my spare pump which has done about 200k and while I can just pick some movement I certainly can't see it. Re shaft groove I have heard that you can seat the new seal in a new position, ie don't push it in the full amount.
    Johnnojack

Quote Originally Posted by Captaincademan View Post
    if you have a decent dial gauge and data for the correct setting
    I've seen dial gauges but never really used one. Looks pretty straightforward.
    Are they universal fitment / come with different attachments for different port sizes?
    Any recommendations on where to start looking for one? Seems to be a few on eBay for as little as $58

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Diesel-F...EAAOSwA29Y3zWg

I will have to make the decision today on whether to continue with the existing IP or get an exchange. If I go down the exchange route I guess I will need the dial gauge to set the timing correctly. I found this fairy informative video on setting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI_iV4nlEq0

Considering the time involved to get it out and back in again, I don't really want to take any chances.

Regarding that seal, it was sold as Viton. It is kind of a dark grey colour and does look different to a normal back rubber / nitrile seal. I have bought other o-rings sold as Viton that are a similar colour. I have also seen the brown ones more commonly too. What can you do but take the sellers word for it?
    Last edited by 3DB; 31st May 2019 at 07:17 AM.
    3DB

Well you learn something new everyday eh? I just did a google search on Viton seals and see they are available now in a multitude of colours. I stand corrected.

Im sure that dial gauge would be fine. I bought mine from total tools, im not sure now what I paid as it was a couple of years ago.

That video is an excellent video. You just need the setting for your engine / pump now and you can easily time it.

The dial gauge is useful for many things - disk rotor tolerances, turning steel on a lathe etc etc. its just the little adapters that make it useful for timing an IP. I woul dbe surprised if one of those threads didnt fit the back of your pump. On the 1HZ you need to remove the oil filter and catch tray in order to be able to get the gauge in position. you may find you need to do something similar
    Regards,

Cade.

I'd still put it back in, you've determined the seal was no good, right? You have new one, you've lost nothing by putting the pump back on with a new seal. With wear in the shaft the new seal may not last 100,000ks but it could well go a couple of years at least. BTW when I replaced my pump in Isa it hadn't been set up by a diesel shop as I planned to sell the vehicle it came out of which I bought as a wreck. The injection pump had, 'blown up' according to the diesel shop the previous owner had sent it to. All the parts minus the seals were dumped together in a big plastic bag. Anyway to cut a long story a bit shorter I fixed it at home and it is still running fine today. I didn't set the timing other than doing a couple of hundred ks noticed the power was a bit down so advanced it a few tads. Rattled a bit much so took it back a tad, all good.
    Trust yourself and have a crack. You should be able to get yours back exactly as it was, so no timing required.
    Johnnojack