Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing on Mercedes engine

Re: Timing on Mercedes engine

That's the non turbo auto.

The non turbo manual is also rated at 19.7 seconds on the same website.

Hi Chevy28.
    Yes I see. I did have several websites open yesterday looking for the info.
    All the info I can find today says both the Auto and the Manual do 0- 100 in 16 seconds.

Neck snapping acceleration.

Yeah I know. You don't really need a drink holder. It rests OK on the dash.

Had a go at the timing this morning. Managed to loosen 2 of the IP mounting bolts but the bottom one defeated me, just could not get a spanner or socket to the head of it. Fan, fan shroud, fan belt, power steering pulley, all in the way. Looks like I need to take the radiator out. Can it be reached from below? My ramps are out on loan at the moment so couldn't try from below, doesn't look easy anyway.
    Last edited by Johnnojack; 5th June 2019 at 09:05 PM.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 190000km on WVO,(2019) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 11000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    Had a go at the timing this morning. Managed to loosen 2 of the IP mounting bolts but the bottom one defeated me, just could not get a spanner or socket to the head of it. Fan, fan shroud, fan belt, power steering pulley, all in the way. Looks like I need to take the radiator out. Can it be reached from below? My ramps are out on loan at the moment so couldn't try from below, doesn't look easy anyway.
    Sounds nightmarish. The lower bolt on my W123 was tough but I got it from underneath. I managed to reinstall it without raising the vehicle though. Not sure if this translates to your chassis though. My pump mounts onto studs in the engine that point to the rear of the car and you remove 3 nuts and rear bracket
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    JJ, I believe it should be the same as on any of the OM60x or 66x series engines.
    On front of engine, 3 bolts around vacuum pump and one on back of IP to block. Yes, everything is in the way of it. You need to remove the serpentine belt, move the tensioner pulley out of the way and really frig around to get to a couple of them.
    They really took note of the design standards, to ensure maximum profit for the $tealer$hip$.
    I recently remove the IP from my Musso (OM662) for someone to install on a W202 250D Turbodiesel. I hope it works out well for him.
    I am watching the OZBENZ forum with interest for his posts.
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 5th June 2019 at 10:47 PM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    2000 Ford Courier Crew Cab 2.5L Turbodiesel on Blended veggie oil.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

3 bolts on the front, one at the back? Have to have look for that one. It will have to wait until I have a free day, when it's not raining or windy too. Nothing worse than working on a car when the weather is miserable.
    One advantage of such a weak motor is the economy. At just 7.5 litres per 100k my once steadily dwindling oil supply is now holding. 300ks per week at 12 l /100ks was sending me into deficit before.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 190000km on WVO,(2019) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 11000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins