Thread: The old Landcruiser vs Patrol discussion

Talking The old Landcruiser vs Patrol discussion

Hey guys, my latest experience with the engine run away made me think (again) about replacing the old 75 series, it's done over 560.000 ks and the question is as alway, keep fixing or replace it.

So I had a look on the old gumtree and I found a 2004 79 series with under 200.000ks on it and a 2007 GU patrol ute within my price range.

Now the cruiser has the old trusty 1HZ in it where the Patrol is all Turbo Diesel nicer interior and so on. After doing a bit of looking around, Patrol's sell for quite a bit cheaper than the old cruiser.

Has anyone run a post 2005 Patrol on bio with success?

Silly question, does Toyota charge more because they can or is there a Toyota advantage? ( I don't want to start and Toyo vs Nissan Drama please)

A lot of the patrols are common rails, so they are a no go for Bio if I remember correctly.

Thanks again for your input.

Jens
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)
    1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank.
    Lots of K's on BIO and on WVO

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Re: The old Landcruiser vs Patrol discussion

Jens, here are a couple of thoughts:

• I've heard from many people over the years that Patrols generally have tougher gearboxes and diffs than LandCruisers. They also have rear coil springs on some models so might ride better.
    • The Patrol TD42 6-cylinder turbo is widely regarded as relatively indestructible, but they are getting rarer and sought-after these days. They also drink fuel like there is no tomorrow. 20L/100 km is not uncommon. I assume the injector pump is no different to the the Bosch VE on the 1HD though.
    • The Patrol ZD30 3.0L 4-cylinder I believe is common rail and in the earlier GU Patrols is known for high catastrophic failure rates. I'm sure they have that ironed out now but the common rail is just not worth the risk for me.
    • The LandCruiser 4.2L 1HD-FTE turbo I6 is often regarded as the best diesel engine Toyota ever made and much more refined alternative tot he Patrol TD42. Cade has one in his 100 series. These engines alone are worth about $8 - 10K for a rebuilt unit from memory. Some 79 series utes and troopies in good nick are worth more now than the sold for new. You have the next best thing in the 1HD.
    • There is also the 1HZ option in the 79. Solid and reliable, but not a powerhouse. The gearbox attached to the 1HZ is lighter duty than the one that goes with the 1HD-FTE and petrol, so more prone to failures.

All of this is anecdotal and someone will likely correct me on some of it.

I have been thinking the same thing about my Rodeo but I've come to the conclusion that for now it is a case of 'better the devil you know' for me. I replaced my turbo last year with a $270 E-bay Chinese knock-off of the factory IHI unit and it is still going strong. I believe Cade did something similar with his Mazda. The 1HD version is similarly priced. It was a time-consuming job (about 10 hrs) to get mine in while the engine was still in the ute, but maybe the cruiser will be easier?
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

I only really have 1 relevant snippet of experience with patrols. I used to work in central Australia on massive cattle properties back in 1997 - 2000. The Nissan dealer from Mt Isa approached the station manager about buying Nissanís on the next cycle. We replaced all of the utes about every 5 years. We only had about 10 cruisers and hiluxes on that station. Other stations I worked on in the territory would have over 50 land cruisers. So getting a stations business can be very profitable. The mines and properties are basically Toyota land.

So so anyway mr Nissan offered a deal the boss couldnít say no to.

6 months later we were all back in cruisers and hiluxes again. Mechanically the Nissanís were fine, but the interiors literally fell apart.

I personally feel a strong strong bias towards Toyota over Nissan.

AND why on earth would they put massive reflectors and light assemblies in the back of the bodywork and then not put a light in it??? Any business that thinks itís ok to sell a pretend item is kidding themselves in my eyes. If you havenít noticed before, check out the amount of patrols with fake tail lights. GQ all the way to recent models.

There is a price point difference for a reason.

My 1HDFTE is an absolutely wonderful motor. The oil doesnít even go black after 10,000km. For real. Never owned anything like it before.

Im pretty sure the 3.0 Nissan motor was known as the Ďhand grenadeí. Prone to catastrophic failures. Lots and lots oh headaches for Nissan on that one. It was widely used in the navara. I would never buy one.

I have had had fantastic success with the WLT motor in my Mazda and now my ford.

Lots of opinion but not much fact Iím sorry.

i would buy a 300,000 km 1HZ (non turbo) before I would buy a Nissan with 200,000 on it. Of course the 1HDFTE is just the bees knees though.
    Regards,

Cade.

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100 (1HD-FTE) 20,000 on bio
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), 10,000 on bio
    2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Captaincademan View Post
    AND why on earth would they put massive reflectors and light assemblies in the back of the bodywork and then not put a light in it??? Any business that thinks it’s ok to sell a pretend item is kidding themselves in my eyes. If you haven’t noticed before, check out the amount of patrols with fake tail lights. GQ all the way to recent models.
    I suspect this is mostly to do with the Australian Design Rules (ADR) and where brake lights & number plate lights have to be located here as opposed to the rest of the world where the vehicles are sold. We seem to have some whacky requirements for all kinds of things in addition to cars - what is ok for the rest of the world is often not ok for us, apparently.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)