Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To convert or not

Re: To convert or not

Question. Since my 'conversion' hasn't extended to looping the return or changeover solenoids on the return, will I lose much diesel back to the oil tank when switched to diesel? Will this be made worse by having an electric pump? I'd prefer not to use up half a litre of diesel every time I start the engine.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 190000km on WVO,(2019) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 11000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins

JJ
    Can you measure the return line flow (re-route the return line into a 5 litre can) and run the engine for 1-5 minutes to see how much you are pumping down the return line. You can then see how much you would be sending to the veggie tank. Adding a return line solenoid valve is much easier than adding one in the supply line as you do not have the pumps and filters in the way.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Johnno, have found it much easier to have both a return line and recycle line, that way can flush the system and yet when running recycle the oil. Also have a switch to turn of the inline pump under the bonnet, so just a matter of switching from the 5lt dino/bd tank to vo and back. You could also add either 2 stroke or ATF to your starter tank, that cleans out the crud in in the fuel system, especially if you are recycling as it is pretty hot by the time it come back round and works best that way.

On my 1hdt, it will go through a 5lt tank in a couple of minutes when using the return line. I run 1lt through then switch to recycling the fuel and when starting already have some dino/bd. so it's easy to switch when staring and you get a combination of dino and vo as the engine warms up. If you don't care how much dino you have in you vo tank then just use a return line, but have found when I recyclable vo on the road, have a bit more power for some reason an my inline filters don't crush up as they do sometimes.

Tony's idea works really well, but can be a trial, if yo add 2 stroke or ATF into every second tank of starter fuel, it tends to keep the system pretty clean.

Tony I did a rough check and found that about 0.5 litres per minute returned from the pump at idle, I suspect some even when the car was ready to start, ignition on and facet pump ticking away. When running probably faster even more than half a litre. Started with 9 litres and with priming air out, cranking the motor etc for about 10 minutes until I got the car to run again after having the fuel lines off I had only 5 litres in the diesel tank. So will have to do something. Probably 2 solenoids from a Tee in the return line, one returning to diesel inlet side (looped) and one to oil line returning to main tank.
    Tony I don't have room for one of those big 2 way valves you linked to, a smaller one may work.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 190000km on WVO,(2019) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 11000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins

Search for motorised bvall valve DN15. I have seen some which are only a few inches long and high. Would they be too big for your vehicle?
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

All done, I used my last 2 spare LPG valves , only had to buy one Tee piece and a couple of hose barbs. One solenoid valve controls return back to oil tank, (main tank) and one for diesel which I've looped back to just before the electric pump. Car starts easily now and is missing a bit less on idle. I'll give it a week and see if the injector cleans up.
    Johnnojack