Thread: Alternator opinions sought

Alternator opinions sought

Evening Team,

I have some issues with belts squealing for a while and after a bit of trial and error, replacement of 3 V-belts and a can of CRC Belt Grip, I've narrowed it down to the alternator.

See video here of me spinning it by hand. Spins ok, but not easily and has no real inertia and stops almost instantly. Bearing doesn't feel dodgy, just sluggish and resistant. The thing I can most easily equate it to is spinning a brake disc - just that little bit of drag that the brake pads create.

Is this normal for a diesel alternator with vacuum pump attached?

I have tightened the belt to the point where it is probably borderline too tight, but the squealing has finally stopped. Was getting embarrassing there for a while and I was worried I was going to wear out the pulley. Only ever happened at about 1000 - 1200 RPM though, but you are in that range a lot around town.

Alternator is a real pain to get to and I don't look forward to having to extract it if that is necessary.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019
    @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
    @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Re: Alternator opinions sought

Quote Originally Posted by 3DB View Post
    Evening Team,

I have some issues with belts squealing for a while and after a bit of trial and error, replacement of 3 V-belts and a can of CRC Belt Grip, I've narrowed it down to the alternator.

See video here of me spinning it by hand. Spins ok, but not easily and has no real inertia and stops almost instantly. Bearing doesn't feel dodgy, just sluggish and resistant. The thing I can most easily equate it to is spinning a brake disc - just that little bit of drag that the brake pads create.

Is this normal for a diesel alternator with vacuum pump attached?

I have tightened the belt to the point where it is probably borderline too tight, but the squealing has finally stopped. Was getting embarrassing there for a while and I was worried I was going to wear out the pulley. Only ever happened at about 1000 - 1200 RPM though, but you are in that range a lot around town.

Alternator is a real pain to get to and I don't look forward to having to extract it if that is necessary.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    An alternator should spin freely because there are only the bearings to cause friction.
    Alternator with vacuum pump is totally different as the vacuum pump may be a vane pump or a diaphragm type pump, either of which will cause drag on the shaft, resulting in a rapid stop of the spinning alternator.
    Nothing to worry about though.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: Alternator opinions sought

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    Nothing to worry about though.
    Thanks, Tony. Now I'm just worried I over-tightened it. Worry, worry, worry. It is such a pain to get to that I will leave it at that for now. The belt is still fairly new so will hopefully stretch to a comfortable tension.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019
    @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
    @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook