Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a little tank for my buzzbox

Need a little tank for my buzzbox

Hi folks,

Been a long time since I've been on here, but good to be back!

I'm working my way through an SVO conversion on a little Peugeot hatch, and I'm thinking of putting a little tank in the footwell of the rear seat. I figure 20L is more than enough for my needs... longest trip is typically 200km, and I can always carry a jerry for a little too up.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could use for a tank in the footwell space? I'd been looking at those boat 25L tanks, but unsure whether they can be used vertically.

Any advice or thoughts appreciated and welcomed!

Cheers, Steve.

Re: Need a little tank for my buzzbox

Presume you want to put vege in the new tank ? I did that back on my Mk 2 version. Just used a 20 litre yellow plastic container or carboy. I had the inlet hose going thru the cap with a small breather hose as well. When the oil got low I would take it out of the car as the hose was long enough and simply swap the hose and cap onto a full container, tighten the cap and put container back in the car. Put spare cap on empty container and put in back of car if on road or if home back to shed for refill. Worked well most of the time except if you forgot a switch when swapping fuel and diesel overflowed from container onto carpet. Did a trip to Kimberleys like this then started looking for second tank for under car.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 190000km on WVO,(2019) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 11000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins

1987 Mercedes W124 300D
    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Hey Steve, I have a 20ltr container that was used for the diesel tank on my Hikux conversion. It has a good opening for filling, a float switch for a light on the dash when fuel gets low. I'll send you some pics. Happy to swap that one for some fuel when I am down south next week.

cheers Jens
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)
    1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank.
    Lots of K's on BIO and on WVO

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Most metal 20lt veggie oil drums have taps in them or the facility to put one in, you'll find normal poly pipe fittings fit the thread. You can also get those blue 25lt cleaning fluid plastic drums with taps in them, I use those for BD and VO for my generator. No cost and easily replaceable. why not put a 5lt starter tank under your bonnet and use the main tank for veggie oil, then all you have to do is flush when finished driving for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Alga View Post
    Most metal 20lt veggie oil drums have taps in them or the facility to put one in, you'll find normal poly pipe fittings fit the thread. You can also get those blue 25lt cleaning fluid plastic drums with taps in them, I use those for BD and VO for my generator. No cost and easily replaceable. why not put a 5lt starter tank under your bonnet and use the main tank for veggie oil, then all you have to do is flush when finished driving for the day.
    Alga,
    While I have done this before, I also see some potential hazards in having fuel under the bonnet. Even veggie oil can burst into flames if it hits very hot metal. If you plan to do this for your vehicle, I suggest that you use veggie oil in the tank and install it on the opposite side of the engine bay to the turbo / exhaust.

Even with this precaution, you are likely to have a problem if the vehicle needs a roadworthy inspection.
    just my 2c worth.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

You're all good... thanks very much for your contributions.

I had been thinking it would be necessary to get a little tank fabricated with a robust outlet at the bottom.

I think after reading those responses, the KISS approach is probably the best. There's no reason why a well designed hose out the top of jerry won't do the job as a few of you have done. There are a few prerequisites for this conversion, which I could have mentioned earlier, but the jerry with hose should satisfy anyway. Firstly, the original fuel system should remain standard including diesel being in the main tank. Secondly, cleanliness inside the vehicle is super important and I'm keen to eliminate slops. I think this means no taps or barbs at bottom of drums that could be knocked out. The out-of-vehicle jerry change with the long hose is a great feature.

Another quick question... if the hose is potentially removed from fuel each time the jerry is replaced and air gets into the fuel system, is this likely to cause much issue without purging? I'm likely to loop the IP return straight back into the IP to eliminate fuel cross contamination.

Thanks all!

You're on the right track, at tap in the bottom is very vulnerable in a foot well. Yes air can get in the hose and cause a problem, can't remember it being too much of a problem for me but it was a while ago. Re having a fuel gauge I would set the trip meter and go off that. Also seems pretty funny now but as the container was behind my drivers seat I could reach around with my left hand and nudge the drum too tell if it was nearly empty. I finally had one of those siphon hose fittings with a marble in it on the end of the clear 13mm PVC hose. I did need to take care to avoid dribbling oil on the top of the drum when swapping them, always need a rag handy
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 190000km on WVO,(2019) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 11000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins

Tony, been using under bonnet starter/flush tanks for as long as have used VO on cars, never had a problem and would never site them near exhaust or turbo. With the 20lt metal drums, you take the tap out and use a bayonet connection, which takes away most of the danger. No matter what you use, if it's not secure or leak proof you have potential problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Alga View Post
    Tony, been using under bonnet starter/flush tanks for as long as have used VO on cars, never had a problem and would never site them near exhaust or turbo. With the 20lt metal drums, you take the tap out and use a bayonet connection, which takes away most of the danger. No matter what you use, if it's not secure or leak proof you have potential problems.
    Alga, I appreciate your sensible approach to siting and protecting the tank. My concerns were related to any vehicle inspection that may occue and the possibility of needing to have it removed and re-inspected.

Tony