Thread: Best RV Furnaces for Using Biodiesel

Best RV Furnaces for Using Biodiesel

Hey Yall

I want to use biodiesel to heat my RV this winter. B100 if possible (yeah, I know I'd have to keep it warm enough for that to work). I was told by one biodiesel manufacturer that the cheap little Chinese Webasto knockoffs won't do it (the regulat Webasto won't either) but a more conventional furnace might work. However I'm unsure what a good furnace would be for this.

To make it even more complicated, it would really help if said furnace could be powered with a DC power source. Though if that doesn't exist, I'd still love to know about what kind of 120 V - powered furnaces would be appropriate.

Thanks so much!

Re: Best RV Furnaces for Using Biodiesel

Aaron, most participants on this forum are based in Australia.
    I do not know anything about heating RVs, so am not going to be much use to you in advising of a heating device for your RV.
    If you biodiesel is made from a low melting point oil (eg canola oil) then the biodiesel will have a low melting point also.
    If you are buying commercially available biodiesel, then anything might have been used as the feedstock for the bio-reactor.

Tony

For cool weather use of biodiesel there is fractional crystallization . The temperature is lowered some as solids formed they are separated from the liquid . In this way a lower temperature biodiesel may be made .

Thanks for the replies everyone.

For what it's worth, I am aware of the temperature issues regarding biodiesel. Those I can work around by making sure the trailer stays warm or making sure the tank and the fuel line are heated. What I'm really wondering about is what kind of furnace is most appropriate?

So it seems like no one knows of an RV furnace that works with biodiesel. Understandable, since there are like 2 RV furnace companies. So what furnaces do people use in their homes when they heat with biodiesel?

Hi aaron,
    Central heating in private homes is not common in Australia.
    Many people, such as me, seem to use wood heaters in the living room, or in colder climates such as Victoria I believe natural gas heaters are common.
    In fact, about 30 years ago, we did install natural gas heating in my wife's grandmothers house. A small gas heater that could be moved from room to room and plugged into gas bayonet fittings in the floor.
    https://www.rinnai.com.au/wp-content...50-Radiant.jpg

Up until then she had a small portable kerosene wick heater
    https://www.facebook.com/chicrustyqu...1565581904732/
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 2nd July 2020 at 07:13 PM.

I have converted our free standing wood heater to use used cooking oil as its fuel.
    Check out my videos of it. The first one is a pot belly stove I used to prove the concept and the second is the wood heater in our house.
    I have since moved the fuel pump and blower outside the house to reduce noise sources inside the house.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiQ...xAs9MCSwUutblw

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts