Thread: Commercial biodiesel

Commercial biodiesel

Hello,
    Have found this forum very informative, so thank you.
    As a novice, I'm wondering what members think of the commercially available biodiesel. I'm thinking of buying a pod from Biodiesel Industries at Rutherford (NSW).
    Has anyone independently tested their product, or know how that could be achieved?
    Many thanks.

Re: Commercial biodiesel

In the United States I believe commercial diesel fuel contained 5% biodiesel . A problem with biodiesel and even diesel can be low temperature . Biodiesel is usually a mixture of fatty acid methyl esters of varying lengths from fourteen carbons long to twenty two carbons in length . The longer the carbon chain the higher the temperature that the material will turn solid rather than liquid . An example of that occurred in methyl biodiesel made from rendered beef grease . I believe carbon length 20 fatty acid was eicosanoic methyl ester which turns solid at a higher temperature than methyl biodiesel derived from vegetable oil . A test for cold weather biodiesel blends is simply lower the temperature for hours then watch for solid drop out . The melting point of eicosanoic acid methyl ester is about 45 degrees centigrade . Eicosanoic acid is present in animal fats . So vegetable oil used to cook some meats has a little of it in it .
    Last edited by WesleyB; 30th July 2020 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecopix View Post
    Hello,
    Have found this forum very informative, so thank you.
    As a novice, I'm wondering what members think of the commercially available biodiesel. I'm thinking of buying a pod from Biodiesel Industries at Rutherford (NSW).
    Has anyone independently tested their product, or know how that could be achieved?
    Many thanks.

Hi, here is a simple test you can perform for yourself.
    Cold performance - How cold can it get before the fuel solidifies ? (car will not run on solid fuel)
    Get a sample of the biodiesel and put it in the fridge and see if it solidifies. Fridge is ~6 or 7C If OK, then that fuel will be OK at 6 or 7C
    If your location gets colder than that, use the freezer and monitor the thermometer in the fuel sample as it cools down. When it solidifies, note the temperature. the fuel will be liquid at temperatures above the temperature at which it solidifies.

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Thanks very much for these replies. It sounds like a fair-weather fuel!

No problem in summer here in Queensland but on my block on the western downs there can be frosty mornings, so I'll be testing it.

Project is on hold now anyway - can't cross the border - unless I can find a supply in Queensland.

Thanks again!
    Wayne

A simple test is to get a jar of the biodiesel and put it on a post, in the open, near where the vehicle is parked.
    When you walk to the car on a cold morning, look at the jar and see if it has solidified. If so, don't use biodiesel because what is in your car will be just a cold and just as solid.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts