Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Musso Filter Heater

Re: Musso Filter Heater

I spent a bit of time yesterday planning where it would go. Given the way the fuel hoses travel on open space next to the engine, probably a fixture on the firewall would be needed to safely carry the weight of it.

While I was there, I did think about the possibility of simply lagging the metal section of the fuel line to the return line where they both travel in parallel. However, after a bit of driving around, I found that the return line was not noticeably warmer than the feed line so this probably won't do anything. The heater hoses were plenty warm though.

What did occur to me then is that even heating the line against the firewall, it still has a long way to travel through fuel hose and then that thin but of nylon hose between the lockout valve and the pump. It then goes into a fuel filter that is sitting behind the radiator fan (sort of) so it is possible all the heat we put in would be lost.

So my next thought is to look up one of those 12V silicone heater wraps/pads they have on ebay (with a thermostat apparently) and put a small wind deflector in front of the fuel filter.

Try a home brewers flat plate wort chiller. 20 plate works well. Easy to set up and very space efficient.
    There are also heated fuel filters (electric plus coolant) about on ebay sometimes. They were used in UN diesel vehicles operating in sub zero temperatures.

Hi Chev.
    I have two mussos running now with the ELsbett single tank system. Each convsrsion cost $1100 including postage from Germany ( $100 cheaper -free postage - if you buy it around Christmas time).
    I built my first SVO, two tank system in 2002 for a toal cost of about $50 using whatever. Cost a lot in stress though.
    ELsbett is pretty much stress free once you get it set up properly, (For me anyhow)
    One musso has done 40,000 k and the other 10,000 k My wife has done most of the driving in the first one. I like to stay home!
    Jim

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

This is the first stage. A wind deflector installed around the front of the fuel filter. I made it from some of that bracket material they sell at Bunnings (grown up's Mechano that I use to fabricate all sorts of things in a hurry) covered with some black carbon fibre-look vinyl wrap (to go faster) and edged with that rubber door edging stuff. The bracket material was cut to size and bent to shape. I can remove it to take a better photo if someone wants to make the same thing.

No problems last week while driving on the highway in icy winds near Canberra.

To finish the project though, I will now to install a 12 heater wrap bought from eBay and wired using one of those spotlight looms also from eBay that include the switch fuse and wiring all together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20200831173042.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	2354
    Last edited by Chev28; 31st August 2020 at 07:28 PM.

Consider looping the return line from the filter back into the feed line from the fuel tank. The hot oil will be recirculated back into the filter, picking up more heat from the lift pump.
    The downside of this is that if you run the tank dry or change the fuel filter, you will need to bleed the air out, as it would normally be sent back to the fuel tank. A 3 port valve could be used to change from "Return to tank" or /"Looped to filter".
    Insulating the fuel lines from the lift pump to the filter and back to the IP would help now that you have stopped the icy wind coming onto the filter.
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 31st August 2020 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added valve.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Thanks Tony, Where is the lift pump on these things?

Also, does anyone now of an ignition switched positive feed under the bonnet? Don't need any amps as it is just to trip a relay.

The fuel lift pump is on the side of the injection pump. Look for 2 fuel lines on the side of the Injection pump.
    The Fuse box in the engine bay F2 and F3 are Ign. F2 for Air bag, F3 for ABS.
    As well as those 2, Fuses F20 - F24 are also Ign. With F23 unused. Refer attachment for more detail.
    Here is a screen dump from the Wiring diagram.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuse box in Engine bay.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	2358  
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 1st September 2020 at 11:45 PM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Finally finished just as winter is behind us.

First of all, the back of the small windshield so you can see the shape, etc.

Name:	IMG20200912092845.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	2359

Here is the silicone wrap heater around the filter. It has a small velcro section to keep it on tight but allow easy opening when you need to change the fuel filter. Bought off ebay and I chose a 70 degree thermoswitch built in for no extra cost. Really nice seller.

Name:	IMG20200912092927.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	2360

The windshield back in place.

Name:	IMG20200912094043.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	170.2 KB 
ID:	2362

The under bonnet relay.

Name:	IMG20200912092953.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	2361

The in cabin switch (between the Thermoguard and the brake controller).

Name:	IMG20200912094126.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	2363

When the ignition is on, the switch lights up red as "off". Hit the button and the switch goes green as "on". The wrap then gets very warm in a hurry then the thermoswitch kicks in to moderate the heat.

Generally, I won't use the heater (especially now that winter is over) but I am happy that the windshield is there all the time which allows the fuel filter to keep its warmth off the engine. Next winter, I'll give the heater a run on those icy mornings.