Thread: Filtering post dry wash

Filtering post dry wash

Hi everybody. This forum seems the most active on the subject and probably most up to date. Iíve been looking at making biodiesel for some time and if not for Covid would probably have a processor running by now. But fate said otherwise and may have cut me some slack as itís given more time to get it right. I found a Factory build processor, big and smaller cone tanks C/w pumps and plumbing, valves that Iíve committed to and think of building it to running the GLADYS method and dry washing in wood chips. My question of the day is this. Will running the reacted oil through wood chips introduce particles contamination that need filtering? If yes, and considering I want the fuel filtered to 1 micron how have others done that? Thanks.

Re: Filtering post dry wash

G'day JimV8, welcome to the forum.
    I am not familiar with the GLADYS method of making biodiesel and can find no reference to it with a google search.
    Please provide a URL to the method.
    I do not wash my biodiesel so can not help with your question.

Hooroo

Hi Jim, welcome to the world of grease and oil spills

I am also not familiar with this method and have never heard of it either, I water wash my bio after the reaction and let it settle out.
    What vehicle would you be running this bio in?
    Judging by your username it'll be a V8? If it's a Landcruiser, captaincademan runs his V8 Sahara on water washed bio. Or at least he did a while back.
    You want to make sure your fuel is absolutely perfect. Most people around here, including myself run older style engines which are a bit more forgiving. You want to make sure you have your system down pad.
    Good luck and keep asking questions.
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Hi, and thanks for the warm welcomes. A little background. I’m completely off grid and have a 15kw gen powered by a (newish) Perkins 3cyl diesel, my daily driver is a 2002 Ford 250 7.3 chosen chosen for known compatibility with bio. My oversized landscaping tool is a CAT 977L track loader with a 7 litre 4 cyl diesel. It’s early 70s so maybe too much trouble to switch to bio.

The generator powers a 30 amp 24 V charger that keeps a pair of lead carbon batteries topped up and that powers the trailer in the evening and night. I’m thinking of adding a couple more batteries to improved the standby time. The gennie burns about 2 litres per hour so it’s the primary target for bio. It usually runs 5-7 hours daily and I’m thinking of using Dino diesel to start and warm it and then switch to heated bio.

The risk to diesels is to the high pressure pump and the injectors so the fuel must be absolutely water free and particulate free.

The most up to date info I found on Processors is the Appleseed followed by the Upside Down Appleseed followed by innovations on those themes by a Brit, Graham Laming. A guy in the US built on that and called the processor GLADYS or GLADIES.

Anyway, I’ve sourced good veggie oil locally from five local restaurants and so far have collected 1000 litres that’s been settling in 55 gal drums. From what I read the oil should be filtered to 25 micron before it goes in to processor, once in there the temp gets cranked to near 100c and the oil agitated. Water vapours are passed through a condenser and collected as distillate. Once the distillation ceases the oil is water free. Then the reaction process occurs based on sound bio diesel making principles. When that’s done the bio is drained off, (still warm) into the methanol recovery tank and the methanol boiled off and collected through distillation. When the distillate stops flowing the oil is methanol free. From there it either goes to a settling tank or is immediately pushed though ( Bottom to top) wood chip dry wash tower and finally through filters(s) 1 micron and into the final product tank. What I don’t know yet is how much contamination the wood chips are going to add. I suppose it makes sense that the several batches are going to be dirtiest so, thinking out loud, maybe running several cycles of Dino diesels through first will clean up the medium. Then all I have to do is filter the dino diesel to reclaim it.

The name V8 was suggested by a friend after I shoehorned a GM LS1 V8 into a Porsche 968. So it’s my stage name on all forums.

Jim,
    what type of injection system does the generator have?
    Is it Common Rail, direct injection or indirect injection?
    If direct or indirect injection, id the injector pump inline or rotary?
    If it had an inline injection pump then it is a good candidate for using straight vegetable oil as its running fuel, after being started on diesel / biodiesel.

Searching the web, I found this image of the injector pump for a 3 cylinder Perkins diesel engine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Perkins 3cyl IP.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	2352
    If this is the Injection pump on your generator (it is a rotary injection pump), then it is good to run on heated straight vegetable oil.

I hope this helps, as it will reduce your costs of power generation and labour to process it immensely.

Have a great day.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Thanks Tony, I’m not close to the engine si I’m doing this from memory but I think I have a 403 and based on that the injector pump is in the photo. I don’t know enough on the subject byr to me fuel is fuel and as long as it’s thin enough it should pump.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AFC3456B-7A38-493C-BC4E-BAE472A9A05E.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	2353

Quote Originally Posted by JimV8 View Post
    Thanks Tony, Iím not close to the engine si Iím doing this from memory but I think I have a 403 and based on that the injector pump is in the photo. I donít know enough on the subject byr to me fuel is fuel and as long as itís thin enough it should pump.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AFC3456B-7A38-493C-BC4E-BAE472A9A05E.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	2353
    From expanded diagrams I found, the Injector Pump (IP) looks to be driven by cams on the engine, as such, it looks to be eminently suitable for (heated) straight vegetable oil.
    It is definitely NOT a Common Rail Diesel engine.
    I would start it on diesel and change over to filtered vegetable oil, once the engine comes up to normal operating temperature.

Is is an air cooled engine? If so, an engine oil cooler could be used, in the cooling air exhaust, as a final heater for the fuel before the injection pump. The cooling air could also be used to keep the vegetable oil fuel tank warm, reducing your electrical load once the tank is warm enough for the fuel to flow thru the fuel filter, to the IP.

More ideas as they come to me.
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

JimV8; I make small amounts of biodiesel . I dry washed some of it with magnesium silicate . Maybe that's another issue . After treating the product biodiesel with magnesium silicate it's allowed to settle . Then I vacuum filtered the biodiesel with a 20-25 micron particle retention filter paper , then a 2.5 micron particle retention filter paper , then a 1 micron particle retention filter paper . If I start with a 1 micron particle retention filter paper , the filter gets clogged , the biodiesel doesn't go through . Magnesium silicate removes soap from the biodiesel . It's also named Magnesol , used to clean up used vegetable oil at a fish and chips restaurant I used to work at . I filtered biodiesel in several steps using an increasingly fine filter paper .

Thanks for that Wesley. Your filtering setup is I think the right way. I’d read about Magnasol and dry wash and that got me to wood chips and saw dust dry wash media. I talked to a guy in my neck-of-the-woods who was selling his processor, it was way too big for me, but he’d been at it for awhile and spoke highly about red oak wood chips. He’s off the radar now and I didn’t ask his procedure for post wash filtering. I have learned the best and really the only safe way to use the wood chip method and thats flowing bottom to top and always leaving the chips wet. There’s a real danger of spontaneous combustion if the chips are left to dry in the barrel.