Thread: changing our 95 land cruiser over to cooking oil

changing our 95 land cruiser over to cooking oil

Hi all
    We intend to change our 95 diesel land cruiser over to cooking oil. Has anyone got the technical details/requirements on how we go about doing this please?

Also, how readily available is free cooking oil when travelling all over australia please?

Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Re: changing our 95 land cruiser over to cooking oil

Could you please give us more specific information on your vehicle?
    is it the 1hz engine? Do you have a two tanks setup from factory?
    cooking oil should be readily accessible, but it will take time to source it on the way. I suggest you plan for a counter meal at a pub every now and then to have a chat to the friendly staff there

I have had 2 Landcruiser, a HZJ75 and now a 78, both had two tanks from factory. I have replaced the rear tank on the Troopy with a long range tank and have a 120ltr custom tank installed behind the driver and passenger seat. Those two tanks gives us a range of approximately 1600km on normal road.
    The Troopy hasn't got all the conversion done to it yet, but I have installed a heat exchanger inline of the rear tank fuel supply, just before the change over valve for the tanks. The HE is mounted to the chassis rail. This way it is nicely out of the way and remains hidden.
    All fuel return lines are looped back into the fuel supply just befor the tanks

I have had issues which where completely fuel unrelated before, and as soon as a mechanic sees the funky hose setup and heat exchanger in the engine bay, they ask what that is for and then blame the fuel.
    My vehicle runs mainly on Bio anyway, the WVO setup is there for camping trips or when we are visiting family in VIC. Which won't be happening for a while right now
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Re: changing our 95 land cruiser over to cooking oil

sure can!
    Thanks first of all!
    Our vehicle is a 1HZ engine 4.2 L diesel - no turbo
    We have a 2 tank setup from factory - an 80L rear tank and a 50L other tank - total 130L
    We are keen to do it so any details around what heat exchanger/s i need and where and how i install them would be greatly appreciated please. Any other details around the fuel return lines being looped back into the fuel supply just before the tanks would also be greatly appreciated.

as i said we are fair dinkum about doing this so also if there is any chance we can come and have a look at yours on our travels that would be grand too. we are currently in far north queensland until end november but driving to brisbane and back during october but after november we will be pretty much seeing as much of australia as we can pending covid before heading overseas and taking the truck when covid allows.

Thanks again for all your help. it is very much appreciated.
    Cheers