Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Room Temperature Biodiesel process

Re: Room Temperature Biodiesel process

i do ambient reactions to make my biodiesel most of the time. Why we are getting mixed up with drying methoxide with cement and ambient reactions I don't know. There is absolutely no need to add the cement at all, the reaction will continue as normal without it. The biggest drawback with ambient reactions is the length of time the glycerol takes to drop.

I have used Calcium Oxide to dry the methoxide several times and yes, it does work in that the yield is increased and very little potassium soap is formed but if you make a mistake and add the methoxide without the cement or calcium oxide fines being totally settled you can be in trouble by producing calcium soaps ( giving the snowstorm effect) they are insoluble in water and are difficult to remove. it is such a 'prat on' using the cement it isn't worth bothering with.

G'day smithy, it has been a long time,
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy;67329[SIZE=4
    i do ambient reactions to make my biodiesel most of the time. Why we are getting mixed up with drying methoxide with cement and ambient reactions I don't know.
    Exactly! Apparently there is a chemist (PhD) who does not understand this very basic fact about making biodiesel.

There is absolutely no need to add the cement at all, the reaction will continue as normal without it.
    This is amazing, you and I actually agree on something.

Hooroo, Tilly
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 26th January 2021 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
    G'day smithy, it has been a long time,Exactly! Apparently there is a chemist (PhD) who does not understand this very basic fact about making biodiesel.

This is amazing, you and I actually agree on something.

Hooroo, Tilly
    OMG Tilly, one of us is going loopy with old age, I hope its not me!
    Last edited by smithy; 28th January 2021 at 02:05 AM.