Thread: Room Temperature Biodiesel process

Room Temperature Biodiesel process

One of our WARFA members is using a room temperature process to make biodiesel.
    He demonstrated it a few weeks ago and again last Sunday. It was simple and made good biodiesel in about the same time as processing at 45C .

The trick is to take the water out of the methoxide.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Room Temperature Biodiesel process

Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Re: Room Temperature Biodiesel process

G'day Tony,
    The trick is that there is no trick. There is nothing special about what he is doing. I have been making biodiesel at ambient temperatures for years.
    I have posted my procedure on this forum several times. And I do not mix in a 20 kg bag of cement in the methoxide.
    As long as everything remains liquid, the reaction goes forward regardless of the temperature.

This procedure has been discussed several times on this forum and shown to be nothing special.
    As I demonstrated on this forum, It is only "foolproof" as long as you do not react high titration oil, just like every other "foolproof" method has proven to be.
    Basically, he just whacks it with a HUGE excess of KOH (20g KOH per litre WVO!) and hopes for the best.

When you say it makes good biodiesel did he do a 3/27 test on the biodiesel produced?

Did you notice he is mixing his methoxide in an open top drum. I do not recommend doing that.
    Also, after mixing in a bag of cement, it takes several days for his methoxide to be ready to use. I am sure he does not include the time it takes to make his methoxide in the time to make a batch of biodiesel.
    I make my methoxide in less than half an hour and I use less KOH (10g KOH per litre WVO).
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 16th November 2020 at 09:55 PM.

I took organic chemistry in college for two semesters . If I recall correctly the professor said , generally for a ten degree celcius temperature increase the reaction rate is twice as fast . There is an activation energy below which the reaction is very slow . There are other factors besides temperature that might affect reaction rate . Increasing methoxide concentration is one thing that can increase reaction rate at the same temperature . An example of exception to the 10 degree temperature increase doubling the reaction rate may be high explosives . I have made biodiesel at a room temperature of about 23 degrees celcius before . Mixing was necessary since the methanol floats on top of the vegetable oil . It takes less heat energy added to make it but it's slower at room temperature . I used the normal amount of catalytic potassium hydroxide in making the methoxide solution , based upon titrating the oil .

I tried it and it worked well but, there was a couple of things I didn't like, waiting for the cement to settle, disposing of the cement, buying cement, and also the finished product, looked like it has white flakes in it after it had settled for about a month, just sitting on the bottom and it could be stirred up, to look like a snow globe.

Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    I tried it and it worked well but, there was a couple of things I didn't like, waiting for the cement to settle, disposing of the cement, buying cement, and also the finished product, looked like it has white flakes in it after it had settled for about a month, just sitting on the bottom and it could be stirred up, to look like a snow globe.
    Are you going commercial on the snow globe market?

Previous Vehicles: