Thread: Hello! New member, very recently converted my 1995 80 series Landcruiser to SVO

Hello! New member, very recently converted my 1995 80 series Landcruiser to SVO

Hey folks.

New member here from Vic. Recently converted my 80 series to run on SVO using a 2-tank system with kit from ATG, I had a mechanic in Melbourne fit it for me as I'm not mechanically minded. My car already had two tanks so using the existing long range tank for the veg oil.

Had it converted 4 months ago and have done around 2,000 k's on veg. I'm mixing about 10% dino diesel as I live in the hills and its pretty cold, and I've been having troubles getting the oil above 60 degrees (put in a temp guage with the sensor on the lines just before going into the engine). After the conversion I insulated my injector lines and filters and that's helping a bit but will probably put in some heating tape around the lines eventually to get it a bit hotter. There's probably about a meter of line between the heat exchange and my filter.

I do a lot of driving over long distances for work so it made a lot of sense to do the conversion and have already saved a fair bit of money, even though the kit was pretty expensive.
    At the moment a friend of mine is giving me filtered oil while I get a filtering system set up. I'm actually having trouble sourcing oil where I'm from (live in a country town) someone is already picking oil up at all the local spots. Any advice for finding sources of oil would be awesome, or if folks in eastern Vic/Melbourne have too much on their hands let me know!

Re: Hello! New member, very recently converted my 1995 80 series Landcruiser to SVO

Seasnail,
    I would not worry about the oil temperature. Once the engine is running the oil (as long as it is liquid) will flow and be injected reliably.
    the oil will pick up heat from the airflow across the radiator and from the injector pump, on its way to power your engine.

Se if you can get contaminated fuel (someone put petrol in the diesel tank) which they have to pay to dispose of. I use standard 10L and 20 L drums to store my filtered oil for use in my Musso or Rexton. These cars have a 75L tank so put 3, 20L drums of oil and one 10L drum of contaminated fuel into my tank which is about 14% blend.

I use an up-flow settling system to allow the heaviest contaminants in my collected oil to settle out, then filter the settled oil to 1 micron, before storing "ready to use fuel" in 20L drums.
    I pour the filtered oil in to the tank, using a 2L plastic fruit juice container (with the bottom cut out) as a funnel.
    I pour the contaminated fuel in last, to rinse the funnel of veggie oil.
    I have 2, 4L cooking oil containers in the car as my "jerry cans", one of which I add to the tank if I plan to go more than 40km after the low fuel light comes on. The other will give me another 40km if I have not been able to refuel since the low fuel light came on. This is my second chance, I then need to refuel with whatever fuel is available within 40km.

In Perth it was down to <5C this morning and the engine sprang into life after a normal glow delay before cranking the engine over.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts