Thread: Ethanol from wood chips

Ethanol from wood chips

Cellulose Complex Enzymes for Cellulosic Ethanol , January 21 , 2021 , The biological and eco-friendly method to produce ethanol from cellulose is cellulolytic processes which consist of hydrolysis on pretreated lignocellulosic materials using a group of enzymes to break complex cellulose into simple sugar , followed by fermentation and distillation . Cellulosic Ethanol , or second generation Ethanol , is a biofuel produced from cellulose (the stringy fibre of a plant) rather than from the plant's seed , fruit or tuber . ... Cellulosic Ethanol :Environmentally Friendly , But Costly I copied this from the internet .

Re: Ethanol from wood chips

I have been making homebrew whiskey for around 10 years now and use pure white sugar to produce 95% ethyl alcohol or ethanol. After i heard about 3 people dying from homebrew alcohol in Queensland years ago i did some research and found out that they were brewing using grape skins, seeds including the wooden stems trying to make Grappa. Fermenting wood produces methanol which in certain quantities will kill you. As far as i could find out methanol comes from fermenting wood.

Just thought i would add this to the discussion but you can run a car off the stuff i make but i prefer whiskey

Re: Ethanol from wood chips

Yendor, I also use Sugar to create alcohol. One thing to note is that fermenting alcohol using white sugar as the fermentable sugars may also produce small amounts of Methanol. I always take the heads off for cleaning alcohol and use the main distillate for my drinks.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts