Thread: SVO Exhaust Emissions

SVO Exhaust Emissions

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone researched the difference between the exhaust emissions from straight Diesel, Bio Diesel and Straight Waste Veg oil?

The only thing i have been able to find is SVO has no sulphur dioxide and about 70% less carbon emissions? Not sure how accurate that info is.

I am currently running a 2002 Rodeo ( Isuzu 2.8 lt turbo diesel) 68000km so far on SVO and a 105 series Landcruiser 1HZ Supercharged 2000km on SVO.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Yendor

Re: SVO Exhaust Emissions

While I do not have any test results, The CO2 from Vegetable oil was taken from the air by the plant to make the oil, so it is carbon neutral. (any CO2 emissions from harvesting and processing are debited against the intended user.against the intended user, so no CO2 emissions are associated with the use of used cooking oil.)
    Soot emissions from diesels are mostly seen as black smoke on acceleration. I have yet to see a veggie powered diesel blow black smoke.
    Veggie oil does not have much (if any) Sulphur, so SO2 emissions should be zero.

These are my thoughts and as yet, no one has provided any evidence to the contrary.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: SVO Exhaust Emissions

Oh they blow smoke alright and they stink, I don't know what some of these veg guys are doing but some of them reek. Even my HDI pug running on 100% bio will smoke under hard acceleration, and also it stinks when cold. That said it also stinks and blows smoke with dino diesel so pick your poison.

Cool Re: SVO Exhaust Emissions

Quote : Has anyone researched the difference between the exhaust emissions from straight Diesel, Bio Diesel and Straight Waste Veg oil?

What every biofueler wants to know is the difference in emissions from diesel , which is what they are replacing as their fuel.
    For SVO ,there is a significant increase in PAH ( poly-aromatic hydrocarbons) which are carcinogenic .

For biodiesel , the PAH emissions are about 15-20% compared to petro-diesel . Other BD numbers are :

Sulphur dioxide = 0% compared to diesel

Carbon monoxide = 50%

Unburned fuel = 5%

Soot = 70% ( but this is composed of much bigger clumps and less inhale-able than sub-2.5 micron particles from petro fuels )

Nitrous oxide = 110% ( the smog chemical )

I sometimes run on a blend 20%SVO/BD , but on country highways where there are few kiddy lungs