Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Filtering WVO

Filtering WVO

G'day all,
    I am a new member to this forum, Thank you & Congrats. on creating a SYDNEY based forum... much appreciated.
    I have a Toyota Landcruiser BJ70 '86 model running SVO, which I have been reasonably successful with. My very kind boss (BS......) gave me 400 odd litres of virgin lubricating oil which allowed me to deal only with the issues involved with setting up the system, and not worry about the issues involved with cleaning up WVO. I have a plate type filter which my old man and I bought with the intention of filtering out the fines to 5-10um. In discussion and research I've had I've found many of you dont go to this level of technicality. Are any of you good bloke willing to divulge your secrets of WVO cleaning?? I would be most appreciative.
    Cheers, A top weekend to all
    Axel

Re: Filtering WVO

Hi Axle,

Although I am also new to this forum, I have been involved with the filtration of WVO for the past 4 years. I became aware of WVO conversions after purchasing a cooking oil filtration business on the Gold Coast. It wasn't till I was approached by a gentlemen who wanted my oil to run in his veichle (he had already converted his vechile but was having difficulties filtering his oil), that I decided to give it a go! Together we converted my 2001 Mazda Bravo, which I have since travelled over 25000km on WVO (in 6 months).

My machines are able to filter WVO to 1 micron and remove fatty acids. The process involves heating the WVO to 180'c, then adding a filter powder, the WVO is then pressured through an internal filtration system. I then settle the filtered oil (the longer the better). Although this process is not something you can do at home, I thought I would let you know I currently supply a group of people my filtered oil and if you had no luck in filtering your own oil, I do know a guy on the Cental Coast NSW who uses the same system. He may be able to help you out! If you want more details please feel free contact me.

Good Luck

Aaron

P.S I will post a before and after shot of my filtered WVO, along with my set up and conversion, soon.
    Last edited by Aaron; 27th January 2006 at 10:45 PM.

There is also a bloke in Sydney who filters oil for a business. If you need to get in touch with him, let me know. He's not on this forum yet (I think), but I can call him if need be.
    Aaron - you may want to be careful about leaving your email address on this public website - it won't take long for spam spiders to harvest your un-hidden email address and put you on spammer's lists. You might want to just ask users to private message you via the forum instead - that way the site hides your details from the spammers - much safer.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

I haven't yet filtered any WVO myself, but a mate of mine did for quite a while, with good results.

He used a filter bank that consisted first of a coarse strainer (to remove all the big bits), followed by a bank of 3 very large truck engine oil filters (he used Fleetguard filters, but any good quality filter would work. After the three filters, practically all particles larger than 8-10 microns had been removed. IMO this is about the quality you should be aiming for.

The warmer the oil, the lower the viscosity - which enhances filtration.
    Last edited by isuzurover; 28th January 2006 at 02:21 AM.
    Cheers,

Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Axel
    G'day all,
    My very kind boss gave me 400 odd litres of virgin lubricating oil ......
    Axel
    How many litres do you use per Virgin?

Thumbs up Re: Filtering WVO

hi all,
    Iam using Aarons wvo for the past 6500 km, its very clean to start with but it you leave it in a 1000lt container for a few weeks it ends up being very thin and pure, i drain from the top and end up with about 100mm of thick stuff in the bottom which i use in my bentonite injection system.
    cheers mark

Hey Gunner, come on it's not that sort of forum! Good question though!!
    Last edited by Peda; 31st January 2006 at 10:00 AM.

The down side to warming the oil when filtering, I would imagine, is that you may be letting through stuff that could ordinarily start to clog your fuel filters in your car if the oil is moving through the car filter at a lower temperature than what it was originally filtered at.

This is just a logical extrapolation.

Comments??

Jason

Fellas,
    Good thoughts... Not too worried about heating the oil before filtering it, the only benefit in filtering it would be to pull out the longer chains, ie waxes etc, although that plays havoc on filter beds, (got 1/4" of wax out a 10-15L oil clogging my filter papers on one attempt at cold filtering). Plus when running I'm preheating the oil to engine temp, 85-90+'C. Bit scared about heating to 180'C tho Aaron, that must be mighty close on boiling point, and the potential for flashing. Coz I'm doing at home I'd rather keep my skin... From the stuff I've collected it doesnt settle real well, I think I'm going to have to prefilter it through a largeish cloth or fine mesh. To go through oil filter would be rather expensive, Yes? plus it'll allow me to get rid of a few pairs of trousers.....

hmm cool...
    Axel

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
    The down side to warming the oil when filtering, I would imagine, is that you may be letting through stuff that could ordinarily start to clog your fuel filters in your car if the oil is moving through the car filter at a lower temperature than what it was originally filtered at.
    If you cold filter (most oils) you will either clog the filter or (if your filters are low enough in packing density that they do not clog) have really poor filtration efficiency. If you filter the oil at a similar temperature to the temperature at which it will be filtered in your fuel system, there won't be any waxing problems.
    Cheers,

Ben.