Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney Biodiesel Purchasing Group

Question Re: Sydney Biodiesel Purchasing Group

Purchasing group,

i don't think i will be buying any biodiesel on this suggested trip as i don't have a diesel vehicle yet!! i am in the early stages of changing from a petrol to a diesel car, i would however like to be part of the discussions and possibly come along for the ride to the plant at the end of october. So Robert please allow me to login to the subforum

an idea for disussion?
    would it be possible for us to get our own bowser (my dad has just sold his property out west and i have asked him for one of his bowsers??) and have it at a central location, at the ecoliving centre (cameron??) and then people could fill up there, i'm not sure of the legal issues involved, i'm also not sure of the look on Cameron's face as i suggest this?? and i don't think there will be a massivre rush of people. .. just a thought, it seems like we will be waiting a while for the Rozelle thing to get off the ground, i also think turning up to the plant with forty 25 litre drums will look ordinary.

lastly, did Andy or Rick speak to us at the ecoliving centre?? What is their respective positions etc?? Is rick from another company??

darren

Re: Sydney Biodiesel Purchasing Group

Hi Darren,
    Have thought about supplying out of Ecoliving Centre before but discounted due to the fact that we are also an organic garden and don't want to be handling fuels on a daily or even regular basis.

Also due to the fact that we are part of a Uni they would never give the go ahead and the neighbours would never accept it as a good idea either.

In essense we are an educational facility not a fuel outlet and so althought the idea has some attraction to it it just really isn't possible.

Regards,
    cameron

fair enough, i thought there would be some major hurdles there, it would have been rather convenient for you and me too, although it sounds like you don't really need a supplier, (you have your source??).

i did also have some queeries about the pricing of the Biodiesel. Why does the price of petrodiesel influence the price of biodiesel??, this means that the biodiesel suppliers will be riding on the backs of inflated petroleum prices, i realise that they are a business and they are ulimately in it to make money but we will be the people taking the risks with engine warranties etc, why can't they come up with a price and then everyone knows what we are up for? I'm not just directing this at you cameron i'm really using the 'forum' in an effort to satisfy some confusion and frustration. I was a little annoyed when Andy? (can't remember his name) said at the meeting it would be a couple of cents cheaper than diesel, if diesel is at a ridiculus price then biodiesel will be as well? Imagine how well biodiesel would be received if it were 15 cents a litre cheaper than petrodiesel? what are your thoughts?

darren

hi there
    i would like to be involved in acquiring some biodiesel for my transporter.
    Not sure of the logistics but the idea is very appealing

ian

Ian, Darren - I've just activated your accounts now, so you should be able to get into the sub-forum.

Darren, the bowser sounds like a good idea, but there are many legal and licensing issues if you were to dispense fuel to the public. The pump is great, but you need a (licensed) place to store the fuel. Waterway Fuels has a mobile tanker (as pictured here)

The whole reason that we have to organise this purchasing group rather than just rocking up and filling our cars from it is that this is not set up for the general public, like your common neighbourhood service station is.

At our meeting last month, we were told that we'd have biodiesel from a bowser in Sydney. Unfortunately, this statement was made without proper consultation to the guy who would be running the bowser. This statement was made by Adrian, who does business development for the Australian Biodiesel Consultancy, who are running a commercial plant in Gosford, NSW. They are supplying their fuel to Waterways Constructions in Rozelle. Waterway Fuels is to be their distributor, but who they sell to and how they sell is entirely up to them.

I have since spoken to Rick of Waterway Fuels (who was not at our meeting) and clarified the situation. He's sympathetic to the biodiesel enthusiasts like ourselves and has offered to supply us fuel as he would to any other organisation, fleet operator, local council etc. As long as we can get ourselves together and buy a batch, with a single signatory signing for the pickup and an agreement that the fuel is supplied as a trial to the Sydney Biodiesel Users Group, he will accommodate us.

Now we need to make this happen among ourselves. Rick is not going to treat us like the average general public retail fuel customer. We have to organise ourselves in a manner that one of his commercial clients might be in. We need to turn up to take a delivery of fuel in a single bulk amount and pay for it in one hit.

How we do this, we will discuss in our private area.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

I've got plenty at the moment but count me in to get some on the 29th Oct

John

Hi all

I'd be very interested in joining the biodiesel purchasing group. I have a Toyota Troopcarrier converted to a camper - and was considering selling it until I thought of biodiesel. I'm up for amy suggestions on ways to make it run more economically as well; and ultimately (possibly) convert to SVO (duel tanks already - so have a head start).
    Anyway, one step at a time - please could you let me in to the "special" group? I've booked the date for the trip, and was thinking of getting the small containers from K-Mart someone mentioned...

Thanks

Mark

Smile Re: Sydney Biodiesel Purchasing Group

OK, jcaley & mayto, I've just added you to the purchasing group, you should now be able to access our private sub-forum.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Need a place to decant biodiesel

While most of the logistics are now being discussed in our members only area (please post a reply in this thread here if you would like access - it's free), I am now putting out a request to anyone who might know of, or be able to offer a good location for us to decant the fuel amongst ourselves.

I have also started a new thread here about this, which anyone (member or not) can post to in an effort to get some good ideas from you all.

Even if you don't want to purchase biodiesel yet, we'd still welcome any help or ideas on this.

Any suggestions will be discussed by our group in our own private area, so please reply here if you would like access. Otherwise, please post any suggestions in this public thread here.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: Sydney Biodiesel Purchasing Group - Let's buy some now!

please add me to your prospective purchasers list - david speechley kimba077
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    As announced today on our main site, we now have the opportunity to organise ourselves into a group if we want to purchase a bunch of the biodiesel that Waterway Construction has been using!
    Due to the legal and logistical issues (as mentioned in the announcement), we can't just turn up and put it in our car's tanks from a bowser (yet). However, there is no reason why we could not purchase quantities in drums, to be distributed amongst ourselves off-site later.

This means that we will have to collect ourselves together, by posting here to register interest. Then we need to organise the logistics of purchasing and distributing among our group internally here as well.
    This thread has been set up to facilitate this process. If we all post here, then we can all see what is going on. If you want to stay informed of developments, then subscribe to this thread and you can be emailed every time a post is made.

Personally I am eager to buy our first batch ASAP, but let's wait and see who else wants to join in and then we can decide on how before we can know when.