Thread: Volume Plus Bio-Diesel Cash Back

Volume Plus Bio-Diesel Cash Back

Just noticed Volume Plus has now updated their website,
    including a Bio Diesel section.

At the moment, the Bio section only details their new Cash Back program
    for buying Bio Diesel.

The page can be found here

Re: Volume Plus Bio-Diesel Cash Back

Very interesting. I'd like to think that the leopard has changed its spots and will be "going the extra mile" now for its public. It would certainly be great if that was the case.

I'd like to know that the myriad of consumer complaint have been addressed and that we can have confidence in their product.

I'm very glad that they've finally updated their site to include biodiesel, after more than a year of poor information. I must admit to feeling some amusement at the "favourite icon" that they chose for the site - . (For those of you who use Internet Explorer, you probably won't see this on the site, but if you use Firefox, or other standards compliant browsers, you'll see it. I've inserted the image here for the rest of you anyway.)

I'll certainly be contacting them on behalf of the ABU once I can get around to it. I would be very pleased if there were more quality outlets of biodiesel available.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

This is no big deal. 300 ltrs a month is a high thresh-hold for domestic consumption.
    George

David Guest

What is disturbing to me is that there is no mention of BD quality or percentage on the site. Who knows what you are getting as in the blend or if they are still serving up the same old swill from a grease trap?

300L a month is a lot to some people and bugger all to others. 50L a week would be a big week for me but my friends Mrs uses around 150L a week in her 4wd going to work and back and my friend is using over 500L a week in his truck. 300L a month works out at about a tank ( 75L) a week. For this level of consumption, you would get around $12 back or about 11L of fuel. Not exactly going to add up to a round the world ticket at the end of the year thats for sure.

I think the real point that needs to be looked at is even if you are buying 4000L a month of their mystery juice, the BEST discount you are going to get is less than 10%. On the lower end of the scale, you are going to be getting maybe 3.5% discount.

I think if a shop were to advertise a 3.5% discount sale, most people's reaction would be " Big F**ing deal". But that is Marketing for you and it will probably win over a lot of people who are much less sceptical than me.

Some people will no doubt think that any saving is worthwhile but for me, it is more of a gamble with VP's notorious fuel quality than anything. It's going to take a lot of fuel purchase's to recoup the cost of an engine, a pump, injectors or just having your fuel system cleaned and filters changed if their giltch brings your pride and joy to a standstill.

If you are tempted to buy VP fuel, my suggestion is not only keep your receipt but a sample jar of each and every fillup you make!

The question of VP's quality control is the issue. Sure you probably get a good 60/40 blend 95% of the time but that means you get a tank full of bad fuel twice a year.

For only 3.5% discount it isn't worth the risk. You can save that much just by driving better, or only ever filling your tank to 1/4 full or by checking your tyre inflation more often, or by walking to the corner shop and post office.

When I take my vehicle out, it's worth far more than 3.5% to have the confidence that I will get to my destination 100% of the time.

George
    Last edited by gwalker; 30th January 2007 at 03:20 PM.

David Guest

Couldn't agree with you more George.

Hmmm, interesting. I've had two tanks of VP bio, one was emptied within the day on the way to Adelaide. Only have a 45l tank but that is lasting 6 weeks or so for us in normal usage. No problems at all.
    So, interesting deal but no incentive for us lesser consumers.

Would love to see more info from them, including blend info and transparency about standards compliance, etc.
    Moved from bio to Electrons - Nissan Leaf

I agree, I'd like to see VP actually state what blends they are selling, and why there seems to be wide variation in their fuel loads.

I've been buying from a VP near Bankstown airport, (I think this is listed as Revesby on the VP web site),
    and I've had no issues with their fuel over the last month i've been buying there.
    But then, I do take a 1L sample to be sure, when I fill up.

Obviously, I'd prefer to see Morris (or someone else) selling known quality Bio, but until then, there's not much choice.

Spoke with an attendant at a VP store today about the cash back program.
    Seems that while the web site now mentions it, the program has not yet started.

For those who are interested of course

Perhaps also a sign of them changing just that bit more as I tanked up yesterday - the big sign with the prices visible from the road now says Biodiesel rather than Diesel. I'm pretty sure it didn't last time.

Also grabbed a little tank to inspect the fuel first, not that I'm much of an expert in such matters.
    Moved from bio to Electrons - Nissan Leaf