Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Injector Pump filter - Ford Courier 2.5TD

Injector Pump filter - Ford Courier 2.5TD

My Courier had lost power at over 2700rpm and my first thought was a dirty fuel filter. Changed the canister filter, it looked pretty clean and was about 6000km old. I've done about 17000km on B100. There was no change to the low performance.

So thought the worst and went to my local mechanic, told him the problem. He smiled, an easy fix, there is a small wire filter on the inlet of the injector pump. He told me what to do, problem solved.

My Courier has 155,000km on it and I presume this filter had never been cleaned before. It is only small, not much surface area and had collected what looked like dust particles. The injector pump is a Bosch EPVE type as identified at this site www.veggiediesel.co.uk.

I don't know if this filter is common to all these types of pumps or other types or just a Ford extra. But if you are having fuel problems, have a look, or ask a friendly mechanic if your injector pump has a built in filter.

The Fix:
    Remove The banjo bolt on the inlet pipe to pump (17mm socket) with washer under head.Try and leave washer between banjo fitting and pump in place.

Get a piece of wire and make a small hook and remove spring and then filter. This can be done through the banjo fitting.

Wash the filter.

Re-assemble in correct order.

Start motor and check for leaks.

Jobs done.

A couple of photos are attached.

Re: Injector Pump filter - Ford Courier 2.5TD

Where do I send the carton to? I have a slightly older 2.5 naturally aspirated variant and have had the same problem since christmas. Its been to the mechanics twice and come back with the same problem both times. I dont know if the IP's are the same but its only going to cost me a few minutes of my time to see if I have the same strainer.

Thanks for posting, very useful.
    Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

There is a similar filter in Nissan Patrol injector pumps too.
    Peter

Adam, hope it solves your problem and have a beer for me if it does.

Peda, thanks for adding that tip.

It is finding out about these little things that is hard for us home mechanics and is why I posted the info. even though it is not directly related to Biodiesel.

regards
    bj4408

The Nissan SD22 also has a filter in that location.

Tony

The older normally aspirated Couriers (mine is a '98) have the same IP and the same little basket filter thing. And it was full of shite!
    And does it go now, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate!!!
    Thanks for posting the link to the site that identifies the pump, I might try the suggestion they had there of fitting a lift pump at the tank.
    Let you know what transpires.
    Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Most cars and trucks have them , the Toyota landcruiser diesel and turbo diesel certainly does too.

Matt

Thanks so much for that info!!! Just bought a 99 Mazda Bravo 2.5 TD cheap. Previous owner had just spent tones on it - bearings, head, rings, etc...... But sold it cheap as it was not going over 3000rpm and started to miss fire at any higher rpm, and had little power. Only done 145,00km so shouldn't have needed any of that work. Anyway got it home tried cleaning every filter I could find - still no difference. Then found this thread. Took that filter out - was full of crap. Cleaned filter put back in. WOW full power and runs great now. Thanks again for sharing that info mate.

Yes, the Ford Courier is just a Mazda and I've been running my Mazda Bravo on mainly B50 bio BD since it was new. Has now done over 66,000km and the only problem I've had is with a dirty load of dino diesel, it gummed up the filter but after replacing it was still not running as it should. Friend of mine told me about the gauze filter under banjo bolt and I cleaned it and that was the end of the problem. Not all injector and filter problems are due to BD, there is a lot of dirty dino diesel out there. Anyway, it taught me the need to filter all my BD and to change filters regulary.
    Peter

its amazing how much can get past the can filters i have found hair in my ip filter and i clean mine each 1000ks. all my bd is filtered thru a tp filter which does to .5 micron an still that ip filter gets crap in it. and make sure ya dont lose ya ip filter as ya cant buy em at all.