Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Diesel Engine suppliers

Small Diesel Engine suppliers

I am looking to find a 10-12Hp diesel engine that will like a drop of Biodiesel!

Have a Gen that has a 10Hp petrol engine on it and I want to replace the engine with a diesel to run with the bus I want to use a single fuel so diesel it has to be.

I know some of you would likely have had dealings with small engines so any information that you can provide would be great.

Thanks
    Dave

Re: Small Diesel Engine suppliers

Hi Jacka,
    Have you had a look on Ebay, sometimes there are diesel engines and generators on there, a couple of things to look out for, matching the alternator running speed to the generator running speed and rule of thumb engine HP to be possibly double the KVA rating of the alternator. At the moment there are 2" water pumps with 6.7HP ??? engines going for about $300+, they would run about 3KVA. Sometimes there is a fair bit of machine shop work to mate two different makes together.
    That was my experience from a few years ago.

Regards
    John H

David Guest

Is the alternator and the engine bolted together as one unit or are they 2 seperate units conected with a coupler or belts?

Last edited by Geoffwin; 12th May 2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: typo link
    Telegraph Point NSW
    Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
    Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Hi jacka i have a 6 kva chinese gen erator that i brought brand new single cylinder it runs alittle rough on 100 %bio but after mixing about 20% dino diesel its seems to have solved this problem also this gen is used nearly every week for 4 years and i havent had a single problem at only a quarter of the price of a yanmar hope this helps

Hmmm Sean sounds like a plan. Did you get it from ebay or some local supplier?

I really can get away with a 6Kva so that wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the info guys.
    Dave

i got it from a local supplier in melbourne

Dave,
    Do a search on eBay for "Diesel Generator". You will come up with many diesel gennies in the 4.6 - 6 KVA range for up to $1500, many of these are low noise (~72dBa @ 7M), but the "construction site" styles have much higher noise levels.
    Unless you really need 3 phase, go for the single phase units, as uneven loading on a 3 phase unit results in poor efficiency and high fuel consumption.

Tony

Marc1 Guest

I am looking to find a 10-12Hp diesel engine that will like a drop of Biodiesel!

Have a Gen that has a 10Hp petrol engine on it and I want to replace the engine with a diesel to run with the bus I want to use a single fuel so diesel it has to be.
    You are not saying if it is a DC or AC generator. If its a DC you can just change the engine and don't worry about revs but if it is an AC to supply 220/240V 50 Hertz you may have an issue with the revs if you change from petrol to diesel.

To buy a good quality new diesel engine you will have to spend good money. Kubota is perhaps the best value for money at this moment. Good quality yet not as dear as JD or Caterpillar. I like the horizontal "one lunger". Shop around for price there are variations and Kubota Australia is not the cheapest as you can imagine.
    Kubota Australia :: Categories :: Products
    Hatz is a lighter engine but also good stuff. Remember water cooled is quieter then air cooled
    Hatz Australia : Our Products
    From there down in price you can either go second hand or Chinese knock off. Some of the Chinese are acceptable quality however I am told that there are a few Chinese diesel particularly marine, sold to Indonesian fishing boats, that are worth a few hundred dollars but are disposable, that is, once they loose compression can not be repaired since the cylinders are chromed over very low quality cast.
    As suggested by others, e-bay is a source of lots of stuff, and the usual gamble in quality or condition.
    see this diesel knock off, this is your typical camping ground neightmare

This is my personal favorite, there use to be a NZ supplier but they are becoming a collectors item. I am sure it would go on straight Canola oil without missing a beat.
    Sabb 2JHVP Marine Diesel Engine
    Listen to this wonderful music
    http://home.no.net/sabb1/bakke.wav
    Last edited by Marc1; 17th May 2007 at 09:28 PM.

Hello Mark,
    I am not sure you would be happy with the results you get from driving a DC generator designed to be driven at 3600 RPM with a Diesel running at 1800 RPM without changing a pully or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
    You are not saying if it is a DC or AC generator. If its a DC you can just change the engine and don't worry about revs
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 18th May 2007 at 12:44 AM.