Thread: Bubbles, bubbles everywhere!!!!

Bubbles, bubbles everywhere!!!!

Need some help on this one!

I have made a few batches of Bio lately and had the same problem. They are sitting in storage now....

When I get to the drying stage, I am bubbling air through the bio and it starts to bubble up like dishwashing liquid does when in the sink. If I stop drying it the bubbles sit on the top of the bio and takes a week or so for them to disappear naturally or I scoop them off.

There does not seem to be much soap in the bio, although I admit that there is some. I have done heaps of washes, double what i would normally do and it doesnt seem to help. The wash water is almost clear after bubble washing for 12-14 hours.

any ideas why or what causes this?

Thanks

Milhouse

Re: Bubbles, bubbles everywhere!!!!

The air, bubbling up thru the biodiesel is causing the bubbles. Stop using the air.

David Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    The air, bubbling up thru the biodiesel is causing the bubbles. Stop using the air.
    Of course if you stop adding the water to your wash, you won't have to dry it in the first place. As you will then have questionable fuel, best not to use the good stuff you have up by driving your car and you should leave it parked in the driveway!
    I would presume you are looking for a little more practical soloution to your problem than this.

I know bubbling drying is a very popular method of drying washed Bio so perhaps some people that actually make bio and dry it this way will be able to help with your problem.

Is this a recent Problem or has it occoured to all the Bio you have washed?
    If it is a recent problem, have you changed any of your ingredients or procedures since your last successful washes?

Excess bubbles might have something to do with a drop in ambient temperature, rise in humidity or just bubbling to much air through your diesel. Try turning down the airflow.
    I used to have that problem here in Tas, until I got a hairdryer and a washing machine pump.
    A tap is fitted 5-10cm above the bottom of a 44 drum, washing machine pump pumps from tap back into the top of the drum with hairdryer aimed at flow. leave that running for 24 hours.
    Washing machine pumps are best sourced from tipshops, as their rubber seals tend to wear out.
    Hairdryers, look for low watts or styling brushes (300-500watt)

Thanks for the constructive (and some not so constructive) replies

I am thinking that it is a combination of a bit of soap in the Bio and the ambient air temp. The bubbles have only started in the last few weeks since the temps have dropped. I have not changed any processes or where I get my oil.

I am currently looking for a old solar hot water heater to adapt to keep my tanks warmer.

This thread had just reminded me of a NEW experience I had with biodiesel last week.

It rained all week and as I said in an earlier thread, making bio in the rain was a new experience. So is bubbling in the rain. After two days of bubbling in the rain my bio was expelling soap/glycerine at the bottom (which is normal) but what wasn't normal was the colour it was turning. It looked like it had water in it. It was becoming cloudy and looked like orange juice. I was wondering if water was getting into it and becoming suspended. So I moved containers and continued bubbling. The soap had stopped being seperated and falling and it was still cloudy. I was getting worried.

What was the rain doing that I hadn't thought of?

As far as I can tell, the aquarium pump was pulling in the high humidity air and pumping it through the bio adding water to it making it look like bio that had been washed.

I gave it the heat and splash treatment and it returned to the normal clear appearance to which I an used.

Any comments?