Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: brisvegas meet'n'greet

brisvegas meet'n'greet

Hi brisfolk and queensfolk,

I've been thinking its time we all meet up and discuss how we are all progressing and where we are headed. Some time in the next month or two hopefully. Plenty of time to plan around.

Is there anyone willing to host a meeting?

North side of brissy might be convenient (cept for the 'woobah mountain men and hervey bay man)

I've got Peda, Nigel, 91GQ - Adrian, dillyman - derek, matt, garyr, Olaf and trevor on the books so you are all welcome to come, suggest a time, a place or what ever.

What do y'all think?

Re: brisvegas meet'n'greet

Hi Joe,

I like the idea of a meet. Depends on when and the location. It would be good catch up. Sheila and I enjoy the north of Brissy area so could have an excuse for a couple of days away.

When you have any details , let us know. Good one Joe.

Rgds

Dillyman

I am in..and I am North Brissy, Albany Creek way. Though I have STILL not made any bio my processor is finished and I need to get oil and methanol.
    Joe you have been to my place already, would you think here would be ok for the meet as I am prepared to host it. We could throw a few snags on the barby, sit around and tell lies over a few drinks if you want. Enough room here as well if people want to camp overnight.
    We were planning to go away to the Daintree for four weeks though in July or August so let me know if that will be a problem.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peda
    I am in..and I am North Brissy, Albany Creek way. Though I have STILL not made any bio my processor is finished and I need to get oil and methanol.
    Joe you have been to my place already, would you think here would be ok for the meet as I am prepared to host it. We could throw a few snags on the barby, sit around and tell lies over a few drinks if you want. Enough room here as well if people want to camp overnight.
    We were planning to go away to the Daintree for four weeks though in July or August so let me know if that will be a problem.
    Peter
    Nope thats no problem. July or August it is then. No just kidding.

Well we can either decide in the next two weeks and give our selves a week or two's notice and squeeze it in before July, or hold out until after you get back (or unless we get another offer). I'd like you there Pete to see how your processor is coming along. I was hoping you could give us a demo or dry run with it.

I've got some oil spare and I'd be happy to do a demo - titration and all.

So Thanks Peter and I start a mail out and try to shimmy up some numbers.

Joe

I would be happy to travel countless km over to the northside, I live south of the river. Grew up over there though so its no real trouble and my parents are still over there too.

Have fuel will travel, might pack a few coldies into the waeco and come on over.

Matt

As a new chum who has only done two tests so far in
    glass jars (still reading avidly especially regarding water washing) I would love the opportunity to "meet and greet"

any chance of an invite?

bigears

Great matt and welcome bigears.

The more the merrier. I grew up in Yeronga. Anyone know that area at all?

Bigears how did you two tests go?

I'm aiming at mid june so if y'all could throw up a few dates that might suit we can start to take the sum of the averages.

If it helps I could tentitevely say the 11th or the 18th of June. Saturday isn't great for me but I can maybe get a baby sitter for the day.

I've been doing up an itinery and we actually have a bit to discuss!!

joe

Hi all - 11/6 good for me (18/6 I am rostered to work
    but this is able to be swapped if necessary) Any Saturday is definitely ok in June

re Yeronga - I don't know it real well apart from recently
    doing a TAFE course there on bicycle maintainence

re my 2 batches - don't laugh (actually do laugh) -

#1 - I needed to buy some scales to measure 1gm amounts - and ,duh, I measured what I thought was 3.5gm NaOH but it was actually 35gm - needless to say
    I got a nice jelly type of stuff(soap!) that was promptly dumped behind my shed after I realised my stuff up.
    #2 used the right amount of NaOH and got a nice separation and proceeded to gently wash but it seemed to take multiple washes before the water was reasonably
    clear - the resulting fluid on top looked good to me
    but I still wasn't convinced enough to pour it into my
    ride-on. Another laugh for my family is I only ended up
    with about 500mls of putative biodiesel after all my
    decanting (from a 1L bottle of new vegetable oil)

-onto #3 experimental batch now - using WVO (5gm
    NaOH - I guessed as I have'nt sorted out titration yet)
    -there was nice separation and I will try a prewash
    tomorrow as a different washing technique.
    (I will bring some for "show and tell" if it works out ok)

I hope I have given you all a smile!

Cheers

bigears

Hi Bigears, (I keep going to type big gears)

probably the best test ti run on your biodiesel is try to reprocess it. If in the first test you are getting clear seperation then you have probably produces between 96 - 98% conversion. If you reprocess and get more glycerine then you didn't get complete conversion. yes you will often need up to 5 or seven washes to wash your biodiesel.

As for trusting what youv've made, you need a little faith.

If you had good seperation, reprocessed with little glycerine and it washes and dries and end up clear then you probably have made quite good biodiesel. Start introducinh small blends to you engines. 1% - 5% - 10% 20% 50%. If after any of these stages you notice performance issues or hard starting then go back and perfect your technique. Remember after washing that you will need to dry your biodiesel.

Joe
    Last edited by joe; 17th May 2006 at 11:05 PM.

Hi all, Saturday 11/6 should be ok for me so far too.
    Peter