Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peugeot 307 HDi seal issue

Peugeot 307 HDi seal issue

Yes boys and girls there are issues with B100 and my Peugeot. There is a seal on top of the high pressure pump that has been slowly degrading, in other words oozing black rubber as it rots.

Diesel Australia were told its been on B100 for 3.5 years (all its life) and done 60,000km, I saw a look of surprise there, interesting.

Mechanic stated his distrust of biodiesel due to many factors but I took exception at his query abotu water in fuel. He said that he had seen fuel tanks rotted out, hells bells that's some crappy fuel I commented. I am confident in my fuel and its quality, I have samples 4 years old in sealed flasks that are clear and nothing has dropped out at all ever in any sample.

Anyway we agreed material compatibility is the main issue and that there may well be rubber seals in the pump. I asked them to look and have been advised that all they replaced was a top solenoid seal, so that bit on top of the pump is a cut off solenoid.

Anyway they could not specifically asy what is going to happen and that its right to go. Needless I will keep you posted. I will how ever ask them to try and find viton seals for it, it is a bosch pump after all.

Matt

Yes it is a cut off solenoid but to only one cylinder in there, it is to limit fuel pressure at idle and engine rev back off when decelerating.

No cost as they said it was s imple job. We shall see how we go as they said just try it out and see how it goes.

Amazing.
    Last edited by Matt; 12th December 2007 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Update
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Re: Peugeot 307 HDi seal issue

Hello Matt,

I too have an 307 HDi Peugeot but it's 2003 and 90 bhp. I've just begged borrowed and stolen all the kit required to make my first biodiesel.

Do you think if your wagon was run on B30 (max reccomended by peugeot on vehicles without FAP) this would not have happened? or do you think it was going to happen anyway using any concentration of bio?

I'm still going to go for it 'cause my mate's a mechanic and I'll know what to look out for now. Thanks for letting us all know.

I get so fed up of people/companies trying to put me off. Dont put bio in your car....Dont put bio in your boiler....yawn...

It's a good job people like you have the balls to go and do it!

Well its looking a lot more problemtaic, I took a long hard look at it again and I am now fairly sure that it will be up for new seals. There is wetness below the pump and its decidedly black, being the rubber from the seals.

I have a 2004 66kW (90 bhp) model, I would be very concerned about anything ealier, in 2006 they went to the new model with a new motor and there may be changes there. I do know the fuel lines changed as I have a friend who had one. I replaced the injector bleed off lines with viton, they were degrading in the presence of B100, he had a clear line on these that he could see through, very attractive thing to have actually.

Obviously we have rubber seals in the high pressure pump in the 307 and this is why Peugeot recommend B30. Mine has run B100 for the past three years 6 months. So its not immediate but it will happen. Fortuantely its not a mechanical injection pump so its a bit easier to service. I will be getting it in this week for new seals, will ask about viton after all its a bosch pump andB100 is avaialable to our European cousins who have these cars in greater numbers than we do. Mechanic advised last week this may be difficult but he would look into it. I may just ask Bosch myself.

Oh well, diesel mechanic gets my business, not OPEC for the greedy fuel companies.

On another note I was speaking with a Welsh mechanic at a party last evening and he said by recollection that injectors cost a far lot less in the UK than they do here. I will follow this up.

Regards
    Biodiesel Bandit

Interesting updates from today;

Bosch do not make a viton seal kit for this pump, bad bad bad Robert Bosch, head in the sand, Peugeot deserve a blast over this too, rubber seals in this day and age.

The existing rubber kit costs about $50 from a reseller ($32 actually, remarkedly cheap but they are rubber. Bosch agent sais that some kits have Rapeseed compatible on them, a fair indication of biodiesel compatibility. For $32 there can't be much in this, here we go!

Reseller told me viton kills, huh? I think he means the fumes from its combustion are toxic, which may be possible. Told him I had viton tubing and it had not killed me yet.

The Peugeot bosch pump is common to the Mercedes Vito vans, partnumber 0-445-010-046

Word has it the injector washer made of copper are eaten away too?

I can get the pump resealed tomorrow if I can get it out of the car tonight, I don't think so, sadly

Now the only thing left to proof this car is the lift pump in the tank, oh dear oh dear.

Matt
    Last edited by Matt; 18th December 2007 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Update
    Biodiesel Bandit

Well I have found (nirvana) what I was after a viton seal kit for the Bosch CP1 pump in my peugeot. Comes from Italy if your interetsed sistemi iniezione diesel, turbocompressori, common rail, ricambi iniezione diesel, ricambi turbocompressori they have an English section, and go into the common rail parts section, its long but look at the seal kits.

600096 is the set for my pump, interestingly they list bhf01m100275 as the part number and the same number appears on the kit I bought here locally that has rubber seals in it. I will be calling Bosch Australia to try and gain an undertanding why this is tomorrow.

Matt
    Biodiesel Bandit

Hello Matt

I appreciate your continual updates to this thread.
    There are a number of Car makers that use the Peugeot diesel so this info is very beneficial for many people.
    Let us know how things work out.

Hi Matt, As a Citroen owner I guess I am in the same boat. All made by PSA. But lets be fair to poor Mr Bosche. To use Viton seals in his pumps would cost probably an extra 5 per pump multiplied by a million pumps a year is $50,000 which would be the yearly wages for 5 crew on the 300 foot yacht he cruises up & down the Med in.................Or equivalent to the cost of a crate of caviar. So you can see that to expect viton in fuel delivery systems is not only unreasonable....It's selfish as well.

Oh dear, Poor Mr Bosch. Yes it would be sad for him wouldn't it, poor Robert Bosch.

I think a multinational or two needs to be lined up and ^&%$ "bang", bring on a revolution.

Matt

They're here tomorrow! Seals with flippers that is, to fix part of my fuel delivery system, hooray!
    Last edited by Matt; 16th April 2008 at 10:42 PM.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Hi Matt
    You seem to be in the know when it comes to peugeot's. I have a 306 hdi and i'm thinking about making my own biodiesel. I read a statement by Peugeot that said there cars can only run on a mixture to 30% is this untrue? And if it is, are there any mods you would recommend to do to my car before i start?

Sorry for butting in on this thread.

Richard

No mods required, material compatibility is the issue. Injector bleed lines, pump seals, filter sealants (inside fuel filter) and fuel lines (main ones).

Use B20 or B30 and go for it, issues wil not show up immediately at all except for the filter (maybe) blocking with gunk after a few tanks.

I would not hesitate to use B20 or B30 more often than not.

Matt
    Biodiesel Bandit