Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Simple method of Powder washing Biodiesel

Thumbs up Re: Powder cleaning Biodiesel

Hi Annatex
    This is what we need, will look forward to the results
    Cheers Oily

Re: Powder cleaning Biodiesel

No problems Oily. I actually have very detailed results. but as I dont own them I cant post them. (I don't have approval to post them yet). Once I have my own done, which wont infringe copyright etc I'll post them. These will be on the two types of drying as mentioned above.
    cheers
    Annatex.

Re: Simple method of Powder washing Biodiesel

Oily, what is removed using the gypsum? Soaps? water? residual glycerin? Residual catalyst? Residual methanol? Of the contaminants it does remove, if you circulate enough of it for long enough, do you think it removes them completely, or just a large proportion? For instance, have you tested for soap after gypsum washing?

Also , can someone explain why soap is such a bad thing to have in your engine? And if there is no water in the oil you are processing, how can soap form? Soap contains water, doesn't it, and can't form with no water present? Or does the reaction produce some water automatically, even if the oil contains no water whatsoever?

Thanks
    Last edited by kneebrace; 6th June 2008 at 01:45 PM.

I tried the gypsum watch with simple plaster of paris found at Home Depot. It was cheap, $10 for a 10kg bag. I tested it versus magnesol xL on a batch in which I added too much catalyst. Here are the pictures:

Picture, rather...

On the left if the Gyspsum and on the right is the Magnesol XL. 2% by weight was added.

Anyway you will see the clarity difference. What exactly is taken away? Is this the methanol and Lye taken away? It isn't the fats because the crystal clear bio failed the 27/3 test on 2 different batches.

Hi oily

In your thread you mentioned that the gypsom was used in food products, i have an oil supplier i get used oil from , and he also imports new palm oil.

he has had major problems with the palm oil freezing in winter, decanting is a problem in the winter,what i would like to know is could the gypsom be used as an additive in the new palm oil and would it still be fit for human consumption, i have figured out how to stop the palm bio from freezing, but i would like to help this fellow if i can.

As the old saying goes,[you can get futher with honey than you can with vinigar]

Regards
    Alan

Hi kneebrace

The soaps that are suspended in the bio prior to washing if left and used in a diesel engine create a crusty build up on the injector tip.

If left unattended the crusty buildup will eventualy clog the injector, i did some tests on a single cyl diesel motor and after running it on unwashed bio for aproximatly 36 hours i found the crusty build up on the injector.

It was not that servere, but i saw that eventualy it would have caused a problem.

i would just like to add that unwashed bio also has methanol suspended in it, and if the methanol gets into your motor it corrodes the injector tips and the glow plugs.

Hope this helps

Regards Alan

Hi guys, just to answer a few questions above, The use of plaster of Paris will not be as effective as the pottery plaster as they have different structures, trust me.
    the best results as I have mentioned lots before is to use POTTERY PLASTER. If you read the threads you will see why.
    The use of plaster for the palm oil might work but I do not want to be responsible for giving advise on this . There would be food grades of Gypsum so you would have to check with BORAL.
    The question about what it takes out when it washes Bio we are still awaiting the results !!!!!!!!! all I know is that it works and in my tests it is equal to about 2 water washes.
    The best thing is that you save water and about 60% of your labor and time.
    Cheers OILY

Right Mate!

I got the pottery plaster and it works like a charm. It's fast and much less messy than water. Good work, well done and if I ever get to meet you I'll buy you a beer.

Charris

Hi Oily,

You say to reheat the oil to 45 - 50 degrees C and then add the pottery plaster: will it work at a lower temp of 30 to 34 degrees? Want to know as I can easily heat my wash tank with an aquarium heater (34 degrees), but it's not as easy and cheap to install a sacrificial anode element to heat to 45 - 50 degrees.

I'm very keen to try this powder washing method, as water and time are too precious to waste!

Cheers, Delica 98.