Thread: 250L Water heater - too big?

250L Water heater - too big?

I have recently discovered this excellent forum and am very excited about the prospect of making my own fuel and saving a few bucks, as well as the environment.

I have been keeping my eye out for scrap parts to build a reactor, as I am thinking of building an appleseed type one. This morning I spotted a 250L Rheem water heater on the side of the road, which looked in good condition, but I'm wondering if it is too big.

I see that most people have gone with smaller 150L tanks as a reactor, so I am wondering if there are any potential problems with a larger one.

I don't have a problem with space in my garage, and to be honest I would rather make one large batch per month than a smaller one every fortnight, but is it more difficult to make 250L of Biodiesel accurately? Or are there other considerations I need to think about?

Re: 250L Water heater - too big?

Hey mate,

welcome to the forums.

No 250litre is not too small. You will be able to make some where around 180-200 litres of fuel per batch. Thats a good amount.

There are no problems with a larger system.

I would also prefer one batch a month instaed of 2.

Its no harder making 250 litres over 150 or even 2 for that matter. As long as you titrate and measure you ingredients accurately you should be able to make good quality biodiesel.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'll probably grab that tank tonight if the council haven't cleared it away.

Aaah! The tank was picked up by the council yesterday before I got home!

Where is a good place to get an old hot water tank (preferably free)? Would there be a good selection at the local council tip?

I got my Rheem 125 ltr tank from a building demolishing yard for $65 and they guaranteed it to work. Tanks end up at the tip usually for a reason ie rusted and leaking but if you are lucky maybe just the element is open circuit and they decided to upgrade anyhow and throw the old tank out.
    Peter