Thread: saltie

saltie

I have just finnished my 25ltr processor and had a few goes at making fuel, a couple of shots turned out ok and a couple were complete disasters.One was just a processor full of white emulsion the other went hard.this one was made from solid vegie oil and the glycerine at the bottom was solid and almost had to be jackhammered out as with one of the successful shots. I never had this problem when I was doing the trials using the doctor pepper method, has it something to do with the amount of caustic and methanol. I have tried using 5- 6 and 7 gms as I cant get my head around this titration thing being a boilermaker not a scientist.
    Any help would be gratefully recieved

Re: saltie

Gday
    This might help Titrating Oil - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial
    thanks caveman

I find that a propper reaction in a reactor is a total different game from doing samples. Are you starting to drain your glycerol off within a couple of hours , while there is still some heat in it or leaving it sit overnight/ if so you will usually have to heat it a bit to get it to flow if you live in a cool climate.
    I have had a little play with solid oil. enough to tell me to leave it alone in my climate. However I did find that the glycerol was as hard as bar velvet soap.
    With regards the heavy emulsion I guess there has been plenty written about it . You might like to read the post that I put up a few weeks ago called 'Excessive Milk shake" In the end I managed to recover most of it.
    Rodda

Saltie, it's near the bottom of page 2 at the moment.
    Rodda

Thanks fella,s, the info is great I have just done the third batch and the glycerol is only sloppy. My problem is the heater element is in the middle of the cylinder so cant heat the rubbish in the bottom to be able to drain it off and am not sure how soon I can drain it. Have been leaving it overnight.
    Thanks again

saltie, I do my first drain about 1/2 hour after I finish mixing, and that removes most of the glycerol mixture. I then drain more after about each hour or two thereon, and find enough has drained for me to transer the fuel after 6 - 8 hours. If I go to the pub, the pump over to my wash tank is done the next morning. Sometimes, but not often there is a small build-up of hardened glycerol at the bottom of my reactor tank and I have to poke a stick through it to get the fuel to run easily. That stuff quickly washes out into a bucket and I transfer that fuel from the bucket into the wash tank later, carefully decanting away from the bit of glycerol that is in the bucket. Once the fuel is flowing clearly, I hook up my transfer hose and away it all goes.