Thread: Bio Production

Bio Production

Hi all, looking at the price of diesel today around $1.80 a litre has done a lot to focus my attention back on making my own biodiesel! My problem is not lack of enthusiasm but time.
    I have looked at buying a ready made production unit but have only seen them advertised overseas. Is there an Australian model available?

Stew

Re: Bio Production

Stew,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy the experience.

There is a lot of knowledge here, just waiting for you to take the time to find it. If you search and still can't find, please ask. If you are too busy to search, go elsewhere and pay someone to sell you something which may or may not work for you.

You may wish to search on "BioWorks" in WA

Regards,
    Tony

The time taken to build your own reactor is nothing compared to the time you will spend collecting WVO and making biodiesel. Just bear that in mind even if you do decide to buy a Bioworks (or other) reactor.

Also with a Bioworks reactor around $4000-5000 + cost of other materials, methanol etc, it will take quite a while to pay for itself even at current petrol prices.

It would also be a good idea to start collecting your oil straight away. Without a good supply of oil you won't be able to make any biodiesel . Also it's good to build up a stock, and it will also give you a feel for whether you can put up with the time/hassle/mess.

Making your own fuel is not a walk in the park, and if you are only interested in saving money you will probably be disappointed, but it can be rewarding if you are prepared to put the time and effort into it.
    Sean

Yep getting that WVO is an issue!
    Annatex

Thanks for the input from all participants!

I have not tried as yet to collect WVO but I had not anticipated this being a problem; my wife ran a Thai restaurant until recently, her biggest problem was getting anyone to collect her WVO. Her opinion based on her contacts and knowledge of her industry was that this was a common problem for restaurateurs.

This does not appear to be the experience of annatex and pangit, any additional feedback appreciated.

Stewart

Where are you located?....a group of us are setting up a system in the Dural NSW area. All welcome.
    carl

Stewart, I even get asked for my "license" to pickup WVO!.
    Some councils require you to have this. Or so I am told.
    Annatex

I am in WA. I spoke to our Govt Dept of Environment and Conservation who are in charge of giving out those licenses and they are no longer requiring them for low volume users and are considering dropping them all together. They do require a good working knowledge of spill management and will send out a PDF of what you need to know.

I also use the $4000 processor from Bioworks.
    It is brilliant.
    Form fuel co-op and use a good sized backyard shed with 3 or 4 people. It will pay for itself in no time.

Yes - UCO is the BIGGEST issue, if you have a supply it is like gold! (all be it browny gold filled with old chips)

Quote Originally Posted by CARL BRUCE View Post
    Where are you located?....a group of us are setting up a system in the Dural NSW area. All welcome.
    carl
    Thanks Carl wish I was! I am in Melbourne so happy to discuss cooperation with anyone time/money