Thread: A solid mass off FRYTOL fat / oil....can i use it?

A solid mass off FRYTOL fat / oil....can i use it?

Hi. 2 posts in 2 minutes, must be a record!
    I had my first day out collecting oil......or oil and water as it has turned out.
    first question, should i boil the water out before processing?
    One drum i opened when i got home is just a lump! FRYTOL EDIBLE AINIMAL OIL...........MMMM, LARD!!
    i know it will melt down (if i can get it out of the tin!!) but after processing it will it have a high setting point (ie. go hard at ambient temperatures), and if so is it really suitable for Bio in winter....will it just congeal again?
    Would it be best to blend it with vegetable oil?

Does the transesterfication process turn all oils / fats to a usable liquid?
    appreciate any advice.
    Carl

Re: A solid mass off FRYTOL fat / oil....can i use it?

im looking at doing the same type of thing except im looking at using butter fat

im too concerned about what will happen to our biodiesel in colder months of the year

is the best method with using solid fats is to mix it with petrol diesel at say no more than 20percent biodiesel during winter time??

I take it in summer months this wont be a problem at all as most days are around 25-30+ degees

Yes you need to remove the water from the oil. Most water will settle on the bottom in a layer, drain this. Then heat the oil to 100 deg C to boil off any suspended water.

Yes you can use Frytol, but there are a few differences:
    Titrating is a little more difficult; you have to get all the fluids involved to a useable temperature as if you add hot (liquid) frytol to a cold base, the frytol will solidiy again. So heat your frytol, titration base and fluids, then proceed as normal.

You are correct in assuming it is harder to use in the winter. Normal Bio (read vegtable) has a higher gel point than petrodiesel, and frytol biodiesel has an even higher gel point again. So save it for the summer months. As for using regular vegie bio in the winter it is fine in the warmer climates of australia but in alpine regions, and places where it get VERY cold in the winter (canberra, bendigo as examples) you may need to blend with petrodiesel to thin it out a little. My friend and i frequent the snow (when there is some grrrrr) and found an additive at a Mansfield sevice station the other day, tests in the fridge look ok but we are yet to positiely test it in real conditions. I will update.
    Here are a couple of links for further reference:
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/using_b...snow_year.html

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/act_bio...08-frytol.html

Hi again
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my question so fully. I appreciate your input. I'm having trouble getting my plant up to 100c....it took 2 hours to get to 55c!!. i probably have to do it in small batches.
    I'm realizing that picking up rubbish oil is easy, getting good oil is different! We have had heaps of rain in the last few weeks and this has affected some of the stuff i got today. i'm learning!
    I will leave the frytol till summer. It was about 18c here today and it was still a lump.

Quote Originally Posted by CARL BRUCE View Post
    Hi again
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my question so fully. I appreciate your input. I'm having trouble getting my plant up to 100c....it took 2 hours to get to 55c!!. i probably have to do it in small batches.
    I'm realizing that picking up rubbish oil is easy, getting good oil is different! We have had heaps of rain in the last few weeks and this has affected some of the stuff i got today. i'm learning!
    I will leave the frytol till summer. It was about 18c here today and it was still a lump.
    No worries,
    It will always be a lump at room temperature, you have to preheat it prior to throwing it into the reactor to get it fluid. Once it has reacted it will stay a liquid, but this liquid will gel at higher temperatures than vegie bio. Hence its a summer fuel.

What size is your reactor (litres) and what are you using to heat it (if an element what kW rating)?
    I do 70L batches with a 2.4kW Element which takes around 35-45 mins to get to 55 Degrees, depending on the weather. You can, as you have suggested, do it in smaller batches, or if your house wiring permits, add another element.
    Insulating the vessel can reduce this time too, though you have to be sure that you have no oil leaks. Vegetable oil can spontaneously combust if left in a rag etc, and left to get warm. Like a mulch pile is hot on the inside. This can end up catching on fire. If you insulate your vessel and it get all oily, you may end up with a fire - Just a tip to look out for. You can insulate it simply by wrapping it in a thick (20mm ish) layer of newspaper, and change it often.

The frytol I did last week will gel at about 15 deg... so I'm keeping it for summer.... the really hot days in summer... not that we get many of those.

I regularly use Frytol as a oil supplement and it seems to work just fine. I am also in Sydney and I have never had too much of a problem since I started to blend it with Vege oil.

My batches are 160L and I use about 40-50L of Frytol and the rest is veg. This seems to give the best results so far and since I have done this I dont have any gel problems in Sydney. I did go the the Blue Mountains last year and my filters and lines clogged up but I expected that so a bit of warm water and I was on the road again! I have since fitted a fuel warmer that runs off the vehicle cooling system.

If you want to have a look at it, drop me a PM and we can meet up for a tyre kicking session!

Cya

Greg

Hi all,
    Looking for some help along the following lines.

Recently did a couple of small batches using wvo for the first time. After the titration I found the titration number to be 19.5. Added to the 7 grams of KOH/ litre of wvo i proceeded as usual.

Findings:
    * Seperation didnt take place on first inspection. (Not like when I used svo)
    *Seperation was visible the following day though it was quite murky and milky. Some clearer seperation was visible when I put the biodeisel/soap/glycerine in the sun.

Where did I go wrong???
    Was it the temperature itself or the poor state of the wvo?

I no this is an older post but any help would be welcome.

Torch

i pickup from my supplier when he drains from fryers so most of time is hot.
    but every now and then he does it early and it goes hard.
    so i have a 25 ltr metal drum sprayed matt black.
    i just put the solidified into that drum and leave on the back porch in the sun for half a day. by then its all liquid and runs through the 5 u filter sock very quick.