Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPA in QLD for WVO "big brother"

EPA in QLD for WVO "big brother"

Well talk about getting the run around!. I was told by a small shop that they were happy to give me their WVO, however that I would need a license to pick it up..

hmm... . I have since found out on this forum that this could be the case. Something similar in WA?
    Anyway...
    Well I investigated this here in country QLD. I called the regional and city council. I was told they do not enforce this and don't supply the license's. I was informed to contact the Environment Protection Agency EPA in QLD.

I called their 1300 number after trawling the web and looking at all the types of license you may require on the web site. Quite exhaustive and expensive.

I talked with them , basically told them I was just a small time person on farm let wanting to make a small quantity, which I wasn't selling. (Well would really like to make as much as possible, but did tone this down a little)

They didn't know at first if a license was needed. Put me through to somebody else , who put me through again and again.
    In the end they would call me back.

This didn't happen so I called again 5 hours later and finally got somebody.
    Told me a license wasn't required, if I was not transporting large quantities. I asked is say 20 or say 150 Liters large. No was the reply.
    They told me if I was selling the oil or buying the oil then a license maybe applicable. (commercial) But in my case wasn't.

I was told this was under review the EPA license waste oil "act" (Or I think that is what they told me) and that this Grey area would not likely require licensing.

Since I was taking to a Representative of the EPA in my area, he informed me that they only really do something if a problem arises or they get a complaint. He said the only complaints they have had to date was from the "big boys" trying to get the EPA to stop us little guys from "stealing the oil" hence the complaint and the likely idea of the license from the shop owner. "Pressure from the big boys"
    He informed me that they were quite happy if I made a product from it on a small scale.

He also agreed that the "big boys" were trying it on and trying to restrict trade". But they don't have anything to do with this, so good luck!

End result NO LICENSE REQUIRED. in QLD for small quantities for personal or farm use.

Looks like I will be WVO "stealing"....... hunting this weekend.............
    Annatex

Re: EPA in QLD for WVO "big brother"

Hmmm.. that would make an interesting story for the Courier Mail, dontcha think

Quote Originally Posted by CHEVY View Post
    Hmmm.. that would make an interesting story for the Courier Mail, dontcha think
    Chevy I think I have stirred up too much trouble already! Never mind reading about it in the paper.

Annatex
    (Quietly filling his tanker with WVO)

well done annatex you got information out of a govt dept you must be good. Like everything, on the quiet is usually the best but good to have the facts to tell the collecters where to go.
    well done. Keep the journo's out i think is best.
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

Years ago I contacted the EPA and said what do I need to do to keep them happy.
    They said all I need to do is to cover myself in case of spills. By that they said that I have to avoid waste oils going into the ground. I should make a concrete (or similar) pit that will hold the "WHOLE" quantity of my oil plus 10%. This pit is where I should operate from. ???????

I guess the pit would be like a large drum burried in the ground, and so any oil spilt (but not rainwater) will run into the drum. Either that or get some silicone rubber and seal up the bottom 2 foot of your shed.
    Or you could not spill any oil? (anyone not expirenced with oil will think its an ok idea. Anyone expirenced will question if I have any expirence with oil, or will be laughing at such an unfeasable idea)
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

The requirement is for a "bunded area capable of containing 110% of the storage capacity of the facility.

In my workshop, I had the floor sloped to a sealed sump in the floor. I calculate that it will hold over 200 L in the event of a spill. I have had some small spills which did not make it to the sump, but the issue which gave me grief is when the rainwater tank overflowed during a heavy downpour and the water banked up and came into the personnel door of the workshop. The bund was full and all of my cardboard and newspaper (used for making papier mache fire bricks) was saturated. Took some time to pump out and dry it all again.
    I have since made a diversion so that any overflow water cannot come into the workshop.

Regards,
    Tony

Hi Tony, Your and my shed both flood!. Yep it happens to mine in a very heavy downpour, Takes a couple of days but it happens.
    Yes I have a small bunded area and do have a trap. Haven't used it yet, other than to pump water out of when shed floods.
    I have been working on the diversion new contour bank and piping. Wills see what happens next time it rains.
    Good news is that that I got that WVO from the small shop.
    Annatex

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    The requirement is for a "bunded area capable of containing 110% of the storage capacity of the facility.
    Is that for WA. I'm not sure where I've seen it but I was under the impression is was more like 200% and the construction was very specific. The walls had to be at a 45% slope and up to a height of 1 metre and had to be a minimun of 1 metre from the vessel.

Joe,
    I believe the number comes from Australian Standards, which would be the basis of all Australian regulations relating to the storage of flammable material.

Bunding for 200L does not need to be a steep sided structure as long as 110% of the storage capacity can be contained within the bund.
    A bund to store 200L could be 2.1M * 1M * 100mm deep, or 5M * 4.2M * 10mm average depth. The oil preparation bay of my workshop is 7M *3M and has a slope from the outside to the middle (where the sealed sump resides), of 200mm This gives a capacity of (in the order of) 210L, plus the capacity of the sump (~15 - 20 litres).

I hope this helps,
    Tony