Thread: Starting up advice

Starting up advice

Hi all,

I have recently come up with a WVO source and want to get started though am finding some obstacles to begin with. I am yet to do the small scale "learn the process before upscaling" part, as there is so much information to absorb (not as easy as i first thought it would be). If anybody could help me with the following questions it would be greatly appreciated.
    1. Do I need to look harder or is Methanol as expensive as i have found. Approx $50 /2.5litres. (a little cheaper if you buy more).
    2. I have purchased some KOH last week and noticed it has an expiry date in Aug 2008. Does it expire quickly or did i purchase an old batch?
    3. the WVO is from the local fish and chip shop and is both very solid and wet (rain water as well as food particles). Will I be producing more soap than Bio Diesel or will it still be worth my while in the long run especially as the methanol is quite pricey?
    I live in the Wollongong area of NSW and would appreciate any assistance especially if others live close by and i could see just how it is done.

Cheers All

Re: Starting up advice

Methanol is much cheaper bought in either 20L or 200L drums.

I don't see how KoH can 'expire' unless it is allowed to absorb water. Is it sealed? If so, is probably Ok.

If you have water in your oil you need to dewater it first. Water = bad.

for first experiments, you will probably be better off with some cheaparse brand of NEW oil from woolies. Buy a couple of liters. Get that right. hen look at WVO.

Speak with your supplier, see if he can keep the oil out of the weather.

Keep looking for liquid oils as these will be needed to make good winter biodiesel (even in a blend with the solid oils). The solid oils are good in summer and provide a higher energy fuel.
    Heat the oil to liquid and allow it to settle , draining off any water from the bottom. Continue to heat the oil to maintain the temperature at 20 - 30C and have a fan blowing across the top. Promote circulation of the heated oil by stirring, pumping it around or bubbling air up thru it using an aquarium air supply.
    Exposure of the oil to air will allow the water to evaporate rapidly.

Search this forum for "hot pan test" using Google to search in this site.
    This will provide you with an accurate determination of whether ther is water in your oil.

DO NOT HEAT TO 100C as it is likely that any water in the bottom may "flash off" causing the oil contents to erupt, covering everything in boiling oil - not nice to experience!

Regards,
    Tony

Methanol sells for around $260.00 / 200 litre drum.

Look in your phone book's yellow pages under 'FUEL MERCHANTS' then start calling.

Thanks to all for your replies. Ill let you know how things pan out.