Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BD Tax question

BD Tax question

Looking at starting for myself, I did a search & couldn't find anything usefull on tax/excise in Qld?
    Can someone clue me in/ point me at a valid link?

Much Appreciated

Re: BD Tax question

excise is federal govt so all states regardless
    38. something cents per litre.
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

Has anyone tried to get the ATO Cleaner Fuels Grant?
    How hard is it and how much $$$

pyro,
    It was an honour system, from what I've heard, but they have checked some people and asked for their test results to verify their claim that it meets Australian Biodiesel Standards.

If you don't comply then you pay it back with penalties applied.

Regards,
    Tony

Thanks for your help guys! It doesn't specify whether the excise is applicable for strictly PERSONAL use however...

I think you will find the answer to that at this page:

Excise tariff reform - Biodiesel

Where you manufacture biodiesel or blend biodiesel with diesel you must hold an excise manufacturer licence. In relation to biodiesel/diesel blends, this requirement extends to blending activities where either or both fuels have already been duty paid.

A manufacturer licence allows you to manufacture and store excisable goods.

When you submit your excise form you also submit at the same time your Clean Fuel Grant claim. One cancels out the other so no money actually changes hands. The catch is that every time you claim the Clean Fuel Grant you must supply evidence that you have passed all tests on the Australian Standard before they approve it.
    This is my third year I will have claimed the Clean Fuel Grant and the goal posts move a little bit every year.
    It costs $2500 for full testing and only one lab in Australia has the facilities to complete full testing. So, this year I have sent a sample to a fuel testing lab in the US and full testing is US$1000 which is quite a bit cheaper.
    But guess what, the tax dept have indicated they are not too happy about this but I am doing it anyway and will try to overcome any obstacles they throw at me later on.
    It is very frustrating talking to the tax dept about this whole subject as you are just talking to bean counters who know nothing about biodiesel and even less about the why's and wherefore's of technical standards.

Quote Originally Posted by robpenfold View Post
    It costs $2500 for full testing and only one lab in Australia has the facilities to complete full testing. So, this year I have sent a sample to a fuel testing lab in the US and full testing is US$1000 which is quite a bit cheaper.
    I take it this for a single sample? Or do you send a bunch of samples (1 from each batch) at once for a single fee....... either way, the amount of deisel I would use a year, I may as well pay the excise!

grant form does it have to be put in with your excise declaration?
    what hapens if its not ?
    A manufacturer licence allows you to manufacture and store excisable goods.
    what is a manufacturers licence ? does it also cover cottage industry amounts such as what is being produced for personal use.
    I happen to know that in Ireland and the u.k. bio (kinda least ways) was being taken advantage of, whereas typically the third reich tax office of the u.k. enforced the letter of the law with an iron fist, whereas the irish government turned a bit of a blind eye, where does the Australian feds stand on this ?
    Is this a serious issue for concern am i gonna get a dawn raid lol?