Thread: E10 not for aircraft

E10 not for aircraft

Noticed signs on the E10 bowser at United Fyshwick stating not to be used in aircraft. Most aircraft use either Avgas or Jeta1 so I assume it must be some types of ultralight. Given that lower concentrations of alcohol in petrol do not need to be labelled then can any form of petrol be used?
    My stepson was flying a Daimond DA42. In Europe they offer a diesel motor but I do not know which fuel they use.

Re: E10 not for aircraft

the reason is that ethanol and blends are hydroscopic ( absorb water) and makes the chances of water in fuel greater and harder to detect. (pilots check for water contamination before EVERY flight)
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

Howdy, first post here, but I fly and have followed this topic a bit The diesel aircraft engines coming out now use jet A1, though I believe they can use diesel or similar also. They are not as intolerant to alternate fuels as the avgas spark ignition aircraft engines.

The use of auto fuel was legally permitted in some low compression aircraft engines, but this permission specifically excluded any fuel with alcohol. Not only for the hygroscopic reason above, but due to aicraft fuel systems and tank sealants etc not being able to withstand the alcohol. The lower vapour pressure of auto fuel is also a problem inthe often antiquated aircraft fuel sytems contributing to vapour lock, which can be fatal if it happens at the wrong time!

This being said, there are aircraft flying on pure ethanol and blends around the world. Brazil has done a lot of work on it, and an aerobatic team flys on pure ethanol in the US. Obviously, they have done there homework.

cheers,

Grant

The reason I brought this up is not all fuel containing ethanol is labelled as such. ie below 5%.
    I was reading that the company producing the diesel engines (based on a VW motor) has gone bust leaving people with those aircraft in a spot of trouble.
    http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._198391-1.html
    Last edited by smokey2; 9th August 2008 at 04:20 PM.