Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frytol: where did I go wrong??

Re: Frytol: where did I go wrong??

I Followed the link to that site that explains titration and don't agree that the Author really has explained well enough what is otherwise a simple process. Also some of the ingredients shown on this site have too many possible "other" ingredients. Typical Americans obsessed with the convenience of buying everything from a supermarket. The site does show properly how to make a "standard solution", (1/1000 solution of catalyst). I would be looking for better explanations of "how to do a titration", And keep all the other stuff simple like just using pure meth or pure methylated spirits instead "Walmart/Kmart" products that have a modicum of pure alcohol. A jar of Turmeric poured into a 1 litre bottle of Methylated spirits makes a great titration solution but this sepo site's description of "Blanking", Or what we in the English speaking world would call "Setting", is SO Wrong, Particularly when using Turmeric as a titration solution.
    We had a simple rule for titration in the club- "If the titration value goes further that 8 eight units/drops/ml. Something is WRONG, and you best start again. Sounds like in your description you made what we would call "Chicken soup". This can happen simply because you didn't cook out the water emulsified in the FFA's. If your using Sodium hydroxide instead of KoH as your catalyst, and ANY amount of water is present in the fytol , You will always make chicken soup. Chicken soup is mostly soap with a splattering of badly reacted BD, which in UV light, sunlight, will split down, separate, again.
    goodluck.
    Last edited by darren leonadas; 17th August 2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: gramma

I used to use the "better titration method" which basically allowed for the fact the measuring 1 gram of KOH was innacurate. But measurig 4 grams was more accuratrate then dividing the final number by 4.

This figure almost sounds line it needs to be divided by 4.

Thumbs up Re: Frytol: where did I go wrong??

While I have heated the oil to about 110C, I agree that something has gone amiss in another part of the process.

I am going to start again by making a new Titration Solution to begin with and will post the results as soon as I get them.

Torch

Torch,
    Heating the oil to 110C does not guarantee that it is dry and increases the risk of any amount of water turning to steam and causing the oil to erupt from the drying vessel.
    If heating to this temperature, continuous agitation is essential.

Ensure that there is good airflow over the drying container and test the oil regularly to determine water content using the hot pan test. This is the test YOU can do to identify water in your oil.

Please use it before each batch.

Regards,
    Tony

Torch,

Also maybe have a smell of the frytol - i have found that a few places i collect from use the frytol containers when cleaning the hot plates etc - so what look like solid lard etc is really lard, mixed with cleaning solvents etc - needles to say i have stopped collecting from these people !!

Craig