Thread: Oil ID needed

Oil ID needed

Hi, I was lucky enough to score 260 litres of oil today - it was from a workshop that makes food processing equipment, and they've been using it to test their fryers etc. Anyway the bloke that knows all about it wasn't there so I wasn't able to find out what sort of oil it is.

At first when I looked in the drums I thought they were full of water as I could see straight to the bottom. On closer inspection however I found that it was oil, but i'ts totally clear, colourless. It looks, feels, smells and tastes like some sort of vege oil. Anyone able to have a stab as to what it might be? I haven't made any trial batches yet, and probably won't have time until next week.

There was also some that had been dumped into an old detergent drum, which obviously had some residue left in it, as the oil was milky and foamed up under agitation. I left it alone but it's still there, so is there any way I can use this?

Re: Oil ID needed

Quote Originally Posted by benjy View Post
    There was also some that had been dumped into an old detergent drum, which obviously had some residue left in it, as the oil was milky and foamed up under agitation. I left it alone but it's still there, so is there any way I can use this?
    It will make beatiful bio still just make sure it has NO water in it. the deturgent will not effect the finished product.

sounds like you got brilliant oil so don't be too concerned about type it really doesn't matter.

Hope this helps
    Cheers Nick.
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

Thanks Nick, good to hear the detergent stuff will make good bio - I can get a couple of hundred litres of that as well.

I'm not concerned about the type of oil, just curious. It certainly is good gear, titrates at 0.5.

Cheers,
    Ben

If it's that good you might not even need to make bio. Just filter it blend it with your normal bio, and particularly when the weather warms up it should be fine. Start with 20% and work your way up to 60-70% and see if you have any starting/running problems. Only try this with the best stuff, not the batch contaminated with detergent though.

You should also leave it outside overnight (or in the fridge) to see if it clouds up or goes thicker/solid.
    Sean

Thanks Sean, that's a great idea - I don't go for full conversion anyway as my Rodeo isn't that fussy - will give it a go.

With regards to the oil with detergent in it, there is a bit of water in it so I will have to boil that out, but do I have to do anything else different or just process it as per normal?

Sorry for the lame questions, my only experience to date has been with good quality canola oil so this is new to me.

If it were me, after drying I'd be doing a few test batches first just to make sure the detergent isn't a problem.

Depending on what the detegent actually is it might through your titration off a bit. Other than that it will wash out in the normal washing process but could make washing harder so gently, gently for the first washes.

Quote Originally Posted by benjy View Post
    I don't go for full conversion anyway as my Rodeo isn't that fussy - will give it a go.

Please be bloody careful with this. Rodeo are tough yes but they are direct injection engines i i would strongly advise AGAINST running ANY straight oil through it.
    I have rebuilt many engines of various types over the years and none have been worse than one clagged up from WVO not being hot enough and that was a bulletproof merc. Is it reallyu worth the shortcut???? I think not.
    Why do we make bio? to remove the sticky glycerol crud. thats the stuff that i believ is trashing engines that aren't hot enough or injecting properly.
    Your choice of couse but be aware of the added risks.
    Cheers Nick.
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

Thanks Nick, that prompted me to do some more reading about direct injection. I found some good info so I know where you're coming from and I'll be a little more cautious in the future.

I haven't been too worried about full conversion up to now - some of my batches pass 27/3, but some fail slightly. Do you think I should be more careful with that as well?

Cheers,
    Ben

4000km so far, 2 blocked filters but no other problems.

the convertion should be enough but i would say 'NEVER blend straight oil with it'.
    Even out of clean oil we see the black stuff that comes out and how sticky it is. imagine that all through your rings and baked into it yuk.
    IMO SVO is borderline stupidity in a direct inj engine.
    Cheers
    Nick.