Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a biodiesel compatible car

Buying a biodiesel compatible car

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a new (or near new car 3 years at most) that would be fine to run on B100... and now here is the catch... without voiding the warranty. Does such a car even exist in Australia?

Thanks,
    Albert

Re: Buying a biodiesel compatible car

Yes,
    Buy one on which the warranty has expired.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Any recommendations? Astra? VW? Mazda?

Quote Originally Posted by pro-logic View Post
    Any recommendations? Astra? VW? Mazda?
    All those plus Mercs and Pugs, basically any diesel. There was a list on here of which cars people on this forum were running B100 and I think it also listed issues they had with them. Try doing a search and see what you come up with.
    Maverick
    Canberra

Great,

I was more interested in diesel models that people know don't come with natural rubber in the fuel lines as stock...

Quote Originally Posted by pro-logic View Post
    Great,

I was more interested in diesel models that people know don't come with natural rubber in the fuel lines as stock...

"Natural Rubber" has not been used in fuel lines for vehicles as all fuels affect Natural Rubber.

"Nitrile Rubber" is resistant to diesel and petrol fuels but is degraded when using biodiesel.
    Later formulations of fuel lines using nitrile rubber with fluoroelastomer (sp) linings have been used as have Viton and other brand full fluoroelastomer (sp) fuel lines, which have a much higher resistance to degradation.

Diesel vehicles made after around 1990 should come with ULSD resistant fuel lines, which (coincidentally) are more biodiesel resistant also.

European manufactured Diesel vehicles delivered after 2000 may have higher spec. fuel lines to cater for the availability of biodeisel at the bowser in Europe

I hope this helps,
    Tony

ps, others may have more recent information than I have so please post this information here so we can all be better informed.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

You can happily use B5 that complies with EN590 specifications. VW permits it even though the sticker on the fuel flap says "NO BIODIESEL".

Using more than B5 in any diesel risks potential problems untested by the manufacturers. Whether in or out of warranty, the situation is the same - you break it, you fix it.

Presumably, one could predict what the potential problems might be based on the fuel analysis. Australian diesel standards and biodiesel draft specifications are published by the feds.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick_sr71 View Post
    All those plus Mercs and Pugs, basically any diesel. There was a list on here of which cars people on this forum were running B100 and I think it also listed issues they had with them. Try doing a search and see what you come up with.
    Any Merc experts here? Does a 190D Merc of the same year (1986) have the same running gear as the 300D. I drove a 1989 300D once and was mightily impressed with the smoothness of the ride - is the 190D just the same car with a smaller motor?

Cheers,
    Dell

Quote Originally Posted by Dellin View Post
    Any Merc experts here? Does a 190D Merc of the same year (1986) have the same running gear as the 300D. I drove a 1989 300D once and was mightily impressed with the smoothness of the ride - is the 190D just the same car with a smaller motor?

Cheers,
    Dell
    Fitian should be a long shortly with your answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dellin View Post

Cheers,
    Dell
    Hi mate,

I am not an expert but I know that the W124 1989 300D has a
    huge difference in performance compared to the 190D.

The 190D has 5 cyl non turbo engine.

I do have a W124 1992 300D with a 6 cyl non turbo diesel.
    It has far better performance compared to the 5 cyl mercs.

I like to think that the 190D has a modern look to W123 300D but with a 2.5L engine.

Since you are in the UK. I believe you can buy yourself a good 300D or even E300 TD at a very good price.

Good luck with your search [/quote]
    Fitian
    <><